Gotta love Canada!

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
What people don't understand is Canada is very expensive for three months when I was working I had to pay an arm and a leg for rent in Calgary. It was so expensive, I had to get a 1500 a month housing allowance from Parsons and even then I had to chip in a few extra hundred for a decent two bedroom. It was a good experience but my luck, they wanted me during the winter only for four months but they paid me very well so I took it. Anyways I like Canada very nice people and they are hockey crazy but it's cool I get down with hockey during playoff time.
At least they have good steak there! ;)

We had our 5th or 6th blackout last night in the 7 months! I'm just wondering if war torn Damascus has experienced as many?! :confused-

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
At least they have good steak there! ;)

We had our 5th or 6th blackout last night in the 7 months! I'm just wondering if war torn Damascus has experienced as many?! :confused-
Wow I didn't know you guys deal with a lot of blackouts. The funny thing is I am in the Arctic in Anchorage and I just endured my first winter but we didn't have a single blakout. Oh another thing we don't have is LA traffic or people from LA so that is good. I don't need to deal with that headache dude like totally. :) You can find good steak in most places and if you can't kill a cow or something.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Wow I didn't know you guys deal with a lot of blackouts. The funny thing is I am in the Arctic in Anchorage and I just endured my first winter but we didn't have a single blakout. Oh another thing we don't have is LA traffic or people from LA so that is good. I don't need to deal with that headache dude like totally. :) You can find good steak in most places and if you can't kill a cow or something.
Well, we got LA traffic, Alaska weather, Damascus power infrastructure, Timbuktu airport facilities, crackhead mayor and the mafia running our constructions industry... Oh, I almost forgot to mention multi-national beer companies setting our moral values!

[video=youtube_share;_OLn5QojMH8]http://youtu.be/_OLn5QojMH8[/video]

This was an ad that came out last week from the international cartel of brewers who have a monopoly in selling beer in Ontario against the new proposals to bring Ontario in line with the rest of the civilized world and sell beer and coolers in convenience stores so that you don't have to drive 15 minutes in your gas guzzling SUV to buy a 6 pack! The same cartel has no problem selling their products in convenience stores in Quebec or remote areas of Ontario where it's not profitable to open a dedicated store, but they're all of a sudden a moral watchdog and authority on how to raise our kids - who coincidentally have easier access to weed, acid, ecstasy and cigarettes than they do to beer with 2% alcohol! :drunk:

Oct 1, 2004
Well, we got LA traffic, Alaska weather, Damascus power infrastructure, Timbuktu airport facilities, crackhead mayor and the mafia running our constructions industry... Oh, I almost forgot to mention multi-national beer companies setting our moral values!

[video=youtube_share;_OLn5QojMH8]http://youtu.be/_OLn5QojMH8[/video]

This was an ad that came out last week from the international cartel of brewers who have a monopoly in selling beer in Ontario against the new proposals to bring Ontario in line with the rest of the civilized world and sell beer and coolers in convenience stores so that you don't have to drive 15 minutes in your gas guzzling SUV to buy a 6 pack! The same cartel has no problem selling their products in convenience stores in Quebec or remote areas of Ontario where it's not profitable to open a dedicated store, but they're all of a sudden a moral watchdog and authority on how to raise our kids - who coincidentally have easier access to weed, acid, ecstasy and cigarettes than they do to beer with 2% alcohol! :drunk:
Actually they make tons of money in remote areas. Its very sad. Not much for fun and entertainment out there besides drinking.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
That survey/article is very misleading Doktor. Sure, our median after tax income is pretty high and probably has surpassed yours down there, but that's not really a gauge of being richer IMHO. For that, you also have to take into account the purchasing parity or the lifestyle you can afford with that median income. For example, our average house prices just surpassed $400k. What are they down in the US, $150k?

In general and excluding housing everything in Canada is 20% more expensive than the US, so if you make that simple adjustment, the same media income in the US takes you 20% further or makes you 20% richer than ours. If you include housing, which I think is one of the most important gauges of measuring middle class riches, we need to have 3 times as much income to afford the same type of home you guys can afford down there - not to mention that your mortgage interest payments are a tax right off whereas ours are not!

That piece about Canadian middle class is a propaganda piece and nothing more. The truth is, Canadian middle class has gotten significantly poorer thanks to insane housing costs, 40% hike in energy costs and a sudden 10% decline of the Canadian dollar.

With an unchanged income, whatever life you could afford 2 years ago, you simply cannot afford this year. And they're still saying Canada's inflation is less than 1.5%! What a crock of shit.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I see Canadian education system only marginally better than that of the U.S.

The health care system is considerably better.

The financial System regulatory system is much better.

I can see their middle class being moderately stronger than the U.S middle class on a relative basis.

in this globalized economy only folks with millions of dollars of capital are winners in the short and intermediate term.

Are Canadian Students Being Forced Into Prostitution En Masse to Pay for College/University Bills?

130,000 members?! These are NOT small numbers... It's more than 6% of all students enrolled in post-secondary education in Canada! :-ohno:
Well they're not being 'forced' into it but you can't deny the amazing business opportunity Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver provide for sex-related ventures. Some of these girls (many of them very educated, smart, pretty and healthy) make over $15,000/month serving an average of 1 client per night! It's not even like the old days when the pimp and his boss would take most of the money. The prostitutes make very good money.

It's booming!

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
as BT puts there is a huge difference between uneducated Drug Addict prostitutes and highly educated motivated prostitutes.

This is going on in America as well.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Well they're not being 'forced' into it but you can't deny the amazing business opportunity Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver provide for sex-related ventures. Some of these girls (many of them very educated, smart, pretty and healthy) make over $15,000/month serving an average of 1 client per night! It's not even like the old days when the pimp and his boss would take most of the money. The prostitutes make very good money.

It's booming!
No one's twisting their arms Soroosh jaan, but if we take what the article says at face value, if someone's working 2 jobs and still can't afford paying for school, aren't they in a way being forced into doing something extreme like this? Or looking at it another way, isn't the prospect of having a $100k debt by the time you graduate forcing these kids to consider other options? Force of course not being physical force.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
No one's twisting their arms Soroosh jaan, but if we take what the article says at face value, if someone's working 2 jobs and still can't afford paying for school, aren't they in a way being forced into doing something extreme like this?
This article is simply not true. With the amount of student loans you can get these days, working 2 part time jobs will be more than enough to pay for everything ...

Or looking at it another way, isn't the prospect of having a $100k debt by the time you graduate forcing these kids to consider other options? Force of course not being physical force.
hahahaha, Bi-Honar Jan, then every dentist and doctor in Canada should become a prostitute because more of them graduate with student loans more than 200k ;)

These girls want the luxury items of life when they are young and they don't want to work for it. It is still the same mentality.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
This article is simply not true. With the amount of student loans you can get these days, working 2 part time jobs will be more than enough to pay for everything ...
I'm not really up to date with OSAP and tuition information Shahin jaan. Last I heard maximum OSAP was around $12k a year which is about the same amount we were getting 20 years ago when tuition was only $2k a year. What's tuition now, around $10k? You got around $2k for books and other supplies a year, so it doesn't look like OSAP covers much other than your school expenses. In big cities you got at least $10k for rent and food. Throw in clothing and a little bit of entertainment and it starts looking really hard for those kids who don't get support from their parents to make ends meet. I know I worked my arse off to pay for school and like I said tuition was only $2k a year back then and we photocopied all our texts - got in trouble for it quite a few times too! ;)

Behroujan,

The problem with education cost has 2 sides. I don't dispute that education has become a pathetic business scam. On the other hand, I'd argue more than 70% of post graduate students are economic idiots and deserve to remain in debt for the rest of their lives because of their stupid monetary choices.

I can understand engineering and medical students being frustrated with high debts. They went in for the right reasons and are getting shafted by a system that wants to milk them dry. On the other hand, there are degrees and programs for fields that have never provided a comfortable career for anyone, yet we see boatloads of 'entitled' girls and boys enrolling into them for the sake of "obtaining education". Nothing wrong with that, except, they know they are entering a losing business venture from the get-go, but somehow have the audacity to complain about 'costs'!

It's like buying an already bankrupt pizza store and then complaining about lack of sales! Well, what the fuck did they expect?