Iran Navy Moves To International Waters

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Motori jaan; While you may be correct about the state of the Iranian Air Force, this account of the process of qualification of pilots may not be entirely true and although there are general guidelines, IATA member states exercise the training and qualification of their pilots with sovereignty.

I'm certainly not privy to detail facts and figures, but in general the status of aviation and especially condition of airports and their facilities is very poor in Iran. In a country that is so vast and relatively rich, only very few airports have adequate navigational capabilities that is taken for granted in the West.
Meehandoost jAn,
No doubt about that but if there are International Flights belong to nations other than Iran are flying to any airport in Iran means that airport some how is complying with rule and regulations. Bear in mind that IATA is not concerned in any of the airport facilities and other comfort amenities, only ATC (Air Traffic Control) systems and condition of the Runway (S) after that you might even have dirt road for taxiway and still qualify for international flights.
I'm not claiming Iranian Air Transport industry is among the best in the world, it never was, what I'm saying is, if Iran Air is flying to destinations in Europe and other European Airliners are flying to Tehran then some how Iranian air transport system is complying with IATA mandated rules and regulations other wise they wouldn't even be allowed to cross Turkey's FIR.
BTW: Iranian Air Force doesn't follow any civilian aviation rules and regulations, no military aviation of the world does.

Meehandoost

Bench Warmer
Sep 4, 2005
That's correct Motori jaan, IATA mainly cares about NAV/COMM facilities and movement surfaces, and less for passenger facilities. IATA membership of Iran Air does require compliance with its rules, but they are not that complicated and membership, although much more desired than non membership, is not such distinction in pilot training as it includes many poorer countries too: See all IATA Member Airlines Reputable airlines always far exceed this lowest common denominator. While Iranian aviators may be among the best, its policy makers are not!

As well, keep in mind that Foreign carriers flying into Iran has to do with satisfying their own safety and marketing schemes, and managing risks. It may be acceptable risk to do non-precision approaches to landing in areas where the weather is visual 95% of the time. Plus the great majority of foreign carriers and international flights in general go through Tehran which does have adequate NAV/COMM facilities, but other major cities in Iran like Urumieh, KhoramAbad, Hamedan, Kermanshah, maybe even Abadan and Ahvaz don't even have an ILS! In the U.S, every little airport has multiple ILS and there are VORs every 15-20 miles, not the same in the fatherland I'm afraid. Unfortunately hazarat are busy building nuclear "stuff"!

Aug 13, 2003
Motori jaan; While you may be correct about the state of the Iranian Air Force, this account of the process of qualification of pilots may not be entirely true and although there are general guidelines, IATA member states exercise the training and qualification of their pilots with sovereignty.

I'm certainly not privy to detail facts and figures, but in general the status of aviation and especially condition of airports and their facilities is very poor in Iran. In a country that is so vast and relatively rich, only very few airports have adequate navigational capabilities that is taken for granted in the West.
This pilot who once was the royal family personal pilot told me that the radar at the front of any modern passenger plane is more precious than gold to the regime in tehran. What the Revolutionary guard does is to strip the radar and put them on Revolutionary guard military planes. Also look at the true story of why the Iranian passenger plane was shot down by the US Vincent! You might find some horror stories about the Revolutionary guard hand on the electronic of that passenger plane.

Meehandoost

Bench Warmer
Sep 4, 2005
This pilot who once was the royal family personal pilot told me that the radar at the front of any modern passenger plane is more precious than gold to the regime in tehran. What the Revolutionary guard does is to strip the radar and put them on Revolutionary guard military planes. Also look at the true story of why the Iranian passenger plane was shot down by the US Vincent! You might find some horror stories about the Revolutionary guard hand on the electronic of that passenger plane.
Dear, that's just another manifestation of a lingering negative Iranian trait: exaggeration! The other one being prejudice (taasob). Radars in the nose of commercial transport planes are for weather avoidance, and although similar are not as sophisticated as the military versions which are for finding other aircraft. No doubt that the Islamic republic will "steal" parts off of commercial jets to keep their military planes airworthy, but the radar story may be a bit far-fetched. Just my thoughts.

sarang

Bench Warmer
Nov 10, 2007
Newcastle
Basically what our friend wants us to believe is that Iran only has 3 commercial airline pilots!!!
This means that they don't train new Iranian pilots which I know for a fact to be untrue.
Two of my relatives are pilots, one became fully qualified I think 3 years ago and now works for IranAir.

PBW:
Are you saying that I know 2 of the 3 Iranian commercial airline pilots?
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
man chaharomi uni tamooom beshe :p eyval che bahal maroof misham :D

Aug 13, 2003
Dear, that's just another manifestation of a lingering negative Iranian trait: exaggeration! The other one being prejudice (taasob). Radars in the nose of commercial transport planes are for weather avoidance, and although similar are not as sophisticated as the military versions which are for finding other aircraft. No doubt that the Islamic republic will "steal" parts off of commercial jets to keep their military planes airworthy, but the radar story may be a bit far-fetched. Just my thoughts.
Dude, you are cluless! Trust me I have a good source with contact in Iran! The front radar radars in passenger plans are priceless for the Iranian gov. Just ask ANY damn Iranian pilot retired or not!

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Dude, you are cluless! Trust me I have a good source with contact in Iran! The front radar radars in passenger plans are priceless for the Iranian gov. Just ask ANY damn Iranian pilot retired or not!
Pari,
Don't hold strong opinion about things that you don't understand.
As Meehandoost mentioned there are 2 systems in the nostrils of any commercial aircraft with more than 19 passenger capacity.
1- Famous weather radar (aka Reflevtivity Radar) for staying away from sever thunder storms, Cumulonimbus (CB) clouds, heavy rain and sleet.
2- Transponder based and operated TCAS (Traffic alert & airborne Collision Avoidance System, which is not a true radar, it works with SSR (Secondary Surveillance Radar) transponders singnals independant of any ground based surveilance equipment. It detects trnsponder singal of the airborne aircraft in the vicinity and alrets pilots to chnage direction of the flight, altitude or both for avoiding airborne collision.
Above systems "BOTH" are useless for militay applications.

Aug 13, 2003
Pari,
Don't hold strong opinion about things that you don't understand.
As Meehandoost mentioned there are 2 systems in the nostrils of any commercial aircraft with more than 19 passenger capacity.
1- Famous weather radar (aka Reflevtivity Radar) for staying away from sever thunder storms, Cumulonimbus (CB) clouds, heavy rain and sleet.
2- Transponder based and operated TCAS (Traffic alert & airborne Collision Avoidance System, which is not a true radar, it works with SSR (Secondary Surveillance Radar) transponders singnals independant of any ground based surveilance equipment. It detects trnsponder singal of the airborne aircraft in the vicinity and alrets pilots to chnage direction of the flight, altitude or both for avoiding airborne collision.
Above systems "BOTH" are useless for militay applications.
You are still clueless! What the Revolution Corp does, they take the radar from a passenger plane and they use the CHIPs of that radar in military planes! CAPISH!

Oct 18, 2002
You are still clueless! What the Revolution Corp does, they take the radar from a passenger plane and they use the CHIPs of that radar in military planes! CAPISH!
Paranoid jan,

I have to admit I know nothing of aviation; however one thing I know is that Rasoul knows this subject better than most. Now you are welcome to try to argue this point, but I would put my money on Motori on this.

Aug 13, 2003
Paranoid jan,

I have to admit I know nothing of aviation; however one thing I know is that Rasoul knows this subject better than most. Now you are welcome to try to argue this point, but I would put my money on Motori on this.
Kambuj, what I am saying is true! From an xpilot and from an advanced electronics/computer teacher at Stanford U! Now why don't we have the three of them get together and debate that! I am simply relaying a message word for word! JUST ASK ANY IRANIAN PILOTS!!! Now if they don't get it let it be! But why don't you think that Iran can't buy civilian planes from the west? Because of the dual usages of the electronics and avionics for military! This info is part of public domain. Now if the dude is playing a game with me, let it be....

Oct 18, 2002
Kambuj, what I am saying is true! From an xpilot and from an advanced electronics/computer teacher at Stanford U!
Well that computer teacher at Stanford obviously does not know that you cannot take specialized ASIC chips from one system and use it in another ??????

If anyone has ever worked in ASIC design s/he knows that ASIC chips are often designed specifically for the systems they work in and cannot be moved from one system to another. If you are talking about commercial chips, they are available in the market; no need to take apart one system to get one!

I am simply relaying a message word for word! JUST ASK ANY IRANIAN PILOTS!!! Now if they don't get it let it be!
Obviously you don't know Motoris backgound. You are talking to an ex-air force man!

Aug 13, 2003
Well that computer teacher at Stanford obviously does not know that you cannot take specialized ASIC chips from one system and use it in another ??????

If anyone has ever worked in ASIC design s/he knows that ASIC chips are often designed specifically for the systems they work in and cannot be moved from one system to another. If you are talking about commercial chips, they are available in the market; no need to take apart one system to get one!

Obviously you don't know Motoris backgound. You are talking to an ex-air force man!
target="_blank">
width="768" height="90" border="0" alt="" />

Africa & Middle East

Morning home delivery - save up to 65%

SEARCH

Advanced
Search

Iran sanctions' risk to air safety is cited in report

Study for global agency criticized U.S.

By Don Phillips
Published: TUESDAY, DECEMBER 13, 2005

Six months before a U.S.-made Iranian military transport plane crashed last week and killed 108 people, a report prepared for the International Civil Aviation Organization warned that U.S. sanctions against Iran were placing civilian lives in danger by denying Iranian aviation necessary spare parts and aircraft repair.
The report written by a Canadian contractor, which officials of the agency said Iran had requested and paid for but had no role in writing, did not deal with military aircraft. But it said that the U.S. government and major U.S. companies were ignoring international treaties and taking actions that put passengers on Iranian commercial airlines at risk, including thousands of people from other countries traveling to and from Iran.
The International Civil Aviation Organization, a world body that oversees rules for all the aviation countries, checked the report for technical accuracy. Like other such reports, it was neither endorsed nor rejected by the world body. It received little attention until it recently reached officials in the aviation industry.
Asked for comment on the report, an official of the U.S. State Department noted that Iran had paid for it and that the plane that crashed last week was not a commercial airliner. No U.S. military parts have been approved for Iran since the overthrow of the Shah in 1979.
The U.S. official, who spoke on condition of not being identified by name, said that if any Iranian civilian aircraft were unsafe to fly, it would be the responsibility of civil air authorities in Iran to keep it grounded.
Today in Africa & Middle East

Obama says Iraq 'combat mission' to end in August 2010

EU foreign policy chief tours Gaza

Iraq hands death penalty to 28 cultists for attacks

The contractor who did the report, Albert Keith Bryson, a Canadian who now lives in Dubai, was selected by the agency, which is headquartered in Montreal. A spokesman said the agency was careful to ensure that such studies were unbiased.The agency said in a statement that its president, Assad Kotaite, of Lebanon, had once persuaded the United States to provide spare parts for an Iranian Boeing 747 and was now involved in negotiations for delivery of more spare parts.
"In all discussions, Dr. Kotaite always recognized the commitment of the United States to ensure the safety of airline operations, and that this was the guiding principle during the present negotiations," the statement said. "When the United States was convinced that safety was in jeopardy, they allowed spare parts to be delivered."
It is too early to determine whether a lack of proper parts or maintenance caused the crash on Dec. 5 of an Iranian military C-130. Iranian news media reported that the takeoff from Tehran was delayed repeatedly by mechanical problems as the plane prepared for a flight to Bandar Abbas with 68 Iranian reporters on their way to watch Iranian military exercises.
In calls to family members from the plane, several reporters speculated that it might be unable to take off. Eventually it did, but minutes later it suffered an engine failure and rammed into a housing area.Since then, the Iranian government has come under sharp criticism for allowing a flight with civilians aboard by a plane almost 30 years old that was starved for spare parts by the U.S. embargo.
The American actions listed as detrimental to safety in the report the agency commissioned include refusal by U.S. companies to provide spare parts, confiscation of engines sent to other countries for repair, withholding of navigation information, and even threats to stop providing parts to European airlines for their own planes if they did maintenance work for Iran.
"The lack of concern for aviation safety is surprising in intensity and vigor," the report said. "Since most Iranian aircraft spend most of their time in foreign airspace over foreign built-up areas, common sense and an agreed minimum level of safety must prevail within the concept of economic sanctions."
Iran Air and eight smaller Iranian airlines fly over much of Europe, often without the latest navigation charts, according to the report. In addition, though 23 foreign airlines land in Iraq, many navigation aids are not being properly calibrated because one of the two Iranian aircraft equipped with special calibrating equipment is grounded for lack of parts, the report said.
The report said that some deaths and injuries in Iranian civil air crashes could be at least partly attributed to the effects of sanctions. In one case, the report said, a child was killed and several adults were injured when the landing gear of an old Boeing 707 owned by SAHA Airlines collapsed on landing in Iran in April.
The report said that two companies not based in the United States, the aircraft builder Airbus and the engine manufacturer Rolls Royce, had been providing full service to Iran.Most of Iran's current aircraft are Boeing products, however. The study accused Boeing of taking an excessively narrow interpretation of the requirements of the U.S. embargo. In addition to refusing to sell planes to Iran, Boeing refused to offer the airline any help in complying with important safety bulletins, the study said.
1 | 2 Next Page

Home > Africa & Middle East

Most E-Mailed

24 Hours
|
7 Days
|
30 Days

Facing German suffering, and not looking away

Obama's budget plan sweeps away Reagan ideas

Tensions rise in fragile Bosnia as Serbs threaten to seek independence

As jobs dry up in Southeast Asia, a return to the safety of the countryside

Paul Krugman: Climate of change

More than one way to take over a bank

Footprints of Homo erectus suggest modern gait

When the next wave wipes out

Obama plans major shifts in spending

Skiing Vermont, end to end

New fusion cuisine takes Los Angeles by storm

The diamond 'overhang'

Cohen: What Iran's Jews say

Bloggers and unions form group to push Democrats to the left

Orchestrating the comeback of the whooping crane

Text: Obama's address to Congress

The 'Slumdog' effect: Afflict the comfortable

For a new L.A. generation, kimchi goes with tacos

Mystery endures in Brazilian town of twins

Friedman: Globally, Uncle Sam is still No. 1

Laid-off foreigners flee as Dubai declines

Republican claims stimulus would aid illegal immigrants

New fusion cuisine takes Los Angeles by storm

Bolivia has lithium, and the president intends to make world pay for it

In India, a shift to meritocracy uproots old elites

Is anything made in the U.S.A. anymore? You'd be surprised

The diamond 'overhang'

Skype makes a good thing even better

For Catholics, a revived tradition reopens a door to heaven

Cohen: What Iran's Jews say

iht.com/arts

A 'Slumdog' kind of night at the Oscar ceremony

More from Oscars 2009:

Ads by Google
Is your Husband Gay?
Test your Husband with this Quiz & See if He is Gay or Not.
www.mydailymoment.com

Unique Folding Boats
They Fold to 4 inches (11cm) Flat! For Fishing, Camping or Sailing
www.porta-bote.com

Stop Panic Attacks
I have a trick that can Instantly Stop Panic Attacks
www.ilovepanicattacks.com

No More Panic Attacks
Quick & Effective Cure To Anxiety & Panic Attacks Easy Steps To Follow!
www.PanicAway.com

Contact iht.com

Close this window or Send us another message

Search

News:

Features:

Business:

Opinion:

Classifieds:

Company Info:

Newspaper:

Other Formats:

More:

Subscriptions

Copyright © 2009 the International Herald Tribune All rights reserved

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
I am showing you CAUSE. What I have been told you guys about chips are classified information.....
Paranoid jan why everything is black and white to you aziz ,for one thing I got to thank you !............ and that's for making motori write such good posts which I learned from and I am sure many others did as well .

From football to here ,I am yet to see a positive post from you but I hope you learn something from all this and show real character in acknowledging quality posts such as motori's , he knows what he's talking about mate.

May 9, 2004
Paranoid jan why everything is black and white to you aziz ,for one thing I got to thank you !............ and that's for making motori write such good posts which I learned from and I am sure many others did as well .

From football to here ,I am yet to see a positive post from you but I hope you learn something from all this and show real character in acknowledging quality posts such as motori's , he knows what he's talking about mate.
عقاب جان
اون کارتونه یادت میاد؟ که میگفت
من خودم میییییدووووونم
:1: