Iran Navy Moves To International Waters

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
That's correct Motori jaan, IATA mainly cares about NAV/COMM facilities and movement surfaces, and less for passenger facilities. IATA membership of Iran Air does require compliance with its rules, but they are not that complicated and membership, although much more desired than non membership, is not such distinction in pilot training as it includes many poorer countries too: See all IATA Member Airlines Reputable airlines always far exceed this lowest common denominator. While Iranian aviators may be among the best, its policy makers are not!

As well, keep in mind that Foreign carriers flying into Iran has to do with satisfying their own safety and marketing schemes, and managing risks. It may be acceptable risk to do non-precision approaches to landing in areas where the weather is visual 95% of the time. Plus the great majority of foreign carriers and international flights in general go through Tehran which does have adequate NAV/COMM facilities, but other major cities in Iran like Urumieh, KhoramAbad, Hamedan, Kermanshah, maybe even Abadan and Ahvaz don't even have an ILS! In the U.S, every little airport has multiple ILS and there are VORs every 15-20 miles, not the same in the fatherland I'm afraid. Unfortunately hazarat are busy building nuclear "stuff"!
Agreed Meehandoost jAn,
I have flown into all those Iranian Airports you mentioned and under no circumetances would I compare those airports to western counterparts.
I can tell you this, 30 knts out side of Mehrabad we were on our own, no radar control, VORs very few and far in between and in many areas not even VHF, UHF or SSB tower communication (except for Tehran/Tabriz coridor in which Intarnational flights would travel). Basically we used what is called "Dead Reconing", just matching the trrein to the map at hand, follow roads and rail roads and always stay away from coulds specially if they looked kind of blackish (CB clouds), I don't know about today but back then flying felt more like Russian Roulette.
At the same time all International Airports in Iran had active ILS and other modern navigational equipments with emergency back ups.
Only disagreement I might bring about is the risk factor you mentioned. I don't think any Western Airline intentionally will take such a fatal risk. Just imagine the law suit they might face if lawyers can prove so in the court of law.

Meehandoost

Bench Warmer
Sep 4, 2005
Agreed Meehandoost jAn,
...Only disagreement I might bring about is the risk factor you mentioned. I don't think any Western Airline intentionally will take such a fatal risk. Just imagine the law suit they might face if lawyers can prove so in the court of law.
I didn't mean that they would jeopardize the safety of the flight at all, but realizing that any action brings certain level of "risk", flying a non-precision approach only 5% of the time would be acceptable "risk" for them to maintain that market if it is profitable. Plus they can always delay or cancel the flight, if the weather or facilities are really poor. But listen to you, talking about the "good ole days", as if you're old or something! a passion or profession?

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
I didn't mean that they would jeopardize the safety of the flight at all, but realizing that any action brings certain level of "risk", flying a non-precision approach only 5% of the time would be acceptable "risk" for them to maintain that market if it is profitable. Plus they can always delay or cancel the flight, if the weather or facilities are really poor. But listen to you, talking about the "good ole days", as if you're old or something! a passion or profession?
Meehandoost jAn,
Started as a profession and wound up being the most desired passion of my life. Good Gawd...It never felt like a work, I was almost always the first at work and last to leave. We had the keys for a $34 million toy, play as we wished and get paid for it very well.
Yes it was the good old days, I'm 54.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Motori jaan, I hear you friend. He (she) is fortunate whose passion is his (her) profession. 34 millions, the Tomcat?

F-14A Tomcat
No! Meehandoost jAn,
CH-47 Chinook, one of the most formidable military air crafts in history of aviation.
Two 3750 HP Turboshaft engines, 25,000 lb load capacity, 44 seats for fully equipped soldiers but in some occasions I've packed over 90 people in passenger compartment (sitting masjedi). Take off from any where, go any where and land any where in any weather condition day or night, with plenty of fuel reserve to boot. I still love that helo.
Started flying in 1962 and after 48 years of outstanding service she is still flying for over 16 armed forces of the world including US Army which has a plan to keep them flying until 2035 that is around 75 years of service, only Boeing B-52 Flying Fortress and Douglas DC-3 Sky Train can claim such a longevity.

Attachments

Aug 13, 2003
Motori jaan, I hear you friend. He (she) is fortunate whose passion is his (her) profession. 34 millions, the Tomcat?

F-14A Tomcat
Iran has 22 operational in its arsenal. Russian technicians are maintaining the engine. In the begining of the Revolution Iran handed two F-14s to Russian Gov in exchange of tech assistance for its warplanes. The Russian did a reverse engeeneering on the F-14. As the result the US Navy discountinued the F-14s and was replaced by F-18 Superhornet.

Aug 13, 2003
No! Meehandoost jAn,
CH-47 Chinook, one of the most formidable military air crafts in history of aviation.
Two 3750 HP Turboshaft engines, 25,000 lb load capacity, 44 seats for fully equipped soldiers but in some occasions I've packed over 90 people in passenger compartment (sitting masjedi). Take off from any where, go any where and land any where in any weather condition day or night, with plenty of fuel reserve to boot. I still love that helo.
Started flying in 1962 and after 48 years of outstanding service she is still flying for over 16 armed forces of the world including US Army which has a plan to keep them flying until 2035 that is around 75 years of service, only Boeing B-52 Flying Fortress and Douglas DC-3 Sky Train can claim such a longevity.
Iran has only 4 operational, aging, Chinook

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
No! Meehandoost jAn,
Wow... Rasoul jan I didn't know you were a pilot. There comes the explanation to why you know so much about aircrafts.
Damet joosh!

Aug 13, 2003
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iranian_Air_Force_aircraft

So you see, Iran has a VERY weak airfoce. Those Iranians and in the western media who say Iran is a world military 'superpower', just ask them IN WHAT? 200 aging planes that falls constantly, crashes, sometime in the apartment building or mountains, that is a sign of POWER? Those saying Iran is a military power are nothing but they want to help the state of Israel so that they can get their moneies from the US gov and congress! When the media says iran and the 'BomB' the American people get scared sh"t and therefore they feel justify for the gov to help the state of Israel. All BS! They have made a monster out of the state of Iran so that the west can sell their junks arm forces getting nothing but dusts to the oil rich arab world at the ten times premium price. Wake up and smell the coffee buddy!

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Hey there PBW,
Seriously though !! How did you manage to be so annoying?
Motori jan , I read your post and my hat off to you buddy ,proud to know you .

Here to cheer you up and wind up PBW is a nice picture of a Persian cat or should I say the real Oghabe Alborz with Alborz mountain in the background ,breath taking !

Attachments

Aug 13, 2003
Motori jan , I read your post and my hat off to you buddy ,proud to know you .

Here to cheer you up and wind up PBW is a nice picture of a Persian cat or should I say the real Oghabe Alborz with Alborz mountain in the background ,breath taking !
Beautiful picture indeed. But we must remember that any war is won by the power of the air force. Without a powerful airforce it is simply a matter of time to get run over. Remember, in a air battle, experts say that pilot TRAINING is the key to win a battle. The US airforce not only can shoot down any Iranian F-14 not only due to the age of the Iranian planes, lack of pilot training and lack of black boxes! With 200 old planes on paper, The Iranian air force is happy that it planes can simply fly for the revlolutionary airshows! Otherwise where did all the billions of the oil revenue went? hummmmmmmmmmm