Messi

Messi, C.Ronaldo, Xavi Finalists of FIFA Ballon d'Or award. Who should win the Award?

• Lionel Messi

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Cristiano Ronaldo

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Xavi

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
Jun 26, 2007
BT jan,
Ballack was, is, and always will be an EXTREEEEEMMEEELLYYY overated player in my oppinion. The German media turned him into this mega star because that golden generation of german football was over, and they needed a hero!
Best thing that ever happened to Germany in this WC was him not being part of it!

I'm sure Mahdi will disagree though!

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
I am not sure there was 3-4-1-2 in 86, the first NT played this, as far as I recall, was England in early 1990s. Unless you watched the Argentina 86 games now and figured out it was actually this formation?
Pumpido-Cuciuffo,Brown,Olarticoechea-Enrique,Batista,Ruggeri,Giusti-Maradona-Valdano,Burruchaga

3-4-1-2

Maradona played even a more impressive football IMO when he singlehandedly led a broken (in every aspect) Argentina to the WC final passed Brazil and the host Italy. They could have won the final against Germany's signature team if the refree was not so harsh on them.
was that when he missed the penalty against yugoslavia?

I don't know why some people are so thick yet so arrogant.

Where in this thread was it mentioned that Messi should've won the game for Argentina? Why start a pointless discussion about something not even worth discussing? Argentina lost to Germany. Finished, done, bye bye.

This thread is about Messi's performance, specially in the last 2 games where he failed to influence his teammates by being an inspirational player. There different ways of doing it. Running like a horse, showing technical superiority, talking to teammates, doing extraordinary things (sometimes even engaging in heated clashes with the opponent's players). It's about showing STAR quality. Things that Maradona, Zidane, Roger Milla, Hagi, Stoichkov and some other players have shown even in recent years.

Messi's game was fine. His attitude on the field was not. No one was going to pick up the slack for him and he should've known that. Although Tevez picked up a lot of it in the first few games, this was the game where Argentina were in a lot of trouble and Messi should've taken his share of the shit and carried it. He didn't.

I still have hopes for this genius.
Alright, what attitude? Dude, he had at some point two players only behind him. If you want him to be the player to shout at players and teammates and do whatever, he ain't that type of guy. he is a softspoken guy who if it wasn't for football, would probably be a bricklayer. He isn't that type of guy at Barca either, he is the guy you give the ball to and if he is in the right state of mind, he can kill the opponent. You can't turn the guy into something he isn't. At Barca, the leaders are Valdes, Pique, Puyol and Xavi. they give the orders and tell what to do. Messi isn't. and never was. Further, Maradona's tournament at that age(ok, he was 1-2 years younger) was 82. Look up how he did there.

I'm sorry but I thought Tevez was Argentina's best and most dangerous player in this tournament. Something Messi failed to be. and apparently Tevez didn't take the ball from their own goal line, dribbled past 11 players and created the danger all by himself. Messi was just not what he used to be for Barcelona. The reason could be many... one reason is the Argentinian players despite being more talented than most Barca players (just MO), did not have the chemistry since they hadn't played together for a long time. But IMO, the most contributing factor to this was fatigue after a long club tournament. It's not easy to be the star of your team and put your energy for a whole season and then play in a WC.

I think people (fans and media) should just stop waiting for a new Maradona and Pele as soon as a talented footballer shows up. At first it was Romario, Ronaldo and even Robinho whom people were expecting a new Pele from. Now it was Messi's turn to become a new Maradona. Everyone should just see a player as the way he is. That's all.
Jesus, this discussion again. So Argentina's players are more talented? Yes, obviously Maxi Rodriguez is more talented than Iniesta and Xavi, Demichelis is more talented than Pique, Otamendi more talented than Alves and Higuain more talented than Ibra, Bojan, Villa, Eto'o etc.
So difficult to say you are wrong?
Tevez? You mean the guy who took Messi's goal by scoring from offside? Yeah, great tournament he had.

Well, it's not really about expecting a completely new Maradona out of Messi. Every decent team has influential, inspirational and irreplaceable members that hold the team together.

Holland: Sneijder/Robben

Germany: Ballack(surprisingly well replaced by Khedira but the experience is still lacking)

Uruguay: Forlan

Spain: Xavi

Ghana: Essien (they badly missed him)

Argentina: Messi

That was Messi's job and he knew it. He was to be the ace that gave the whole team hope. I admit he did fairly well at the start of the competition as it was slightly easier stuff in the group stage, but he was expected (don't tell me he wasn't) to raise his game as the competition progressed. That's what World Cup stars always do. They show up for their team. Remember Baggio? Remember Zidane? Why go back. Look at Forlan.

No one can claim Messi went the extra mile against Germany. I closely watched the guy in the 2nd half and he rarely ever ran. He was standing and at most walking. I'm not kidding. It was an outrageous thing for me. Expected a lot more from the world's best player. I didn't expect him to take the ball and dribble past everyone. I didn't expect Argentina to win the game. I expected Messi to be all over the damn place trying to shame his teammates into trying harder. No one did that for Argentina. No one. It was sad.
That wasn't Messi's job however. Messi's job was to win the games. The leaders were supposed to be Veron and Mascherano, plus Samuel and Heinze. If Maradona leaves 2 of the leaders out, leaves 1 of them playing against 3 and heinze does what Heinze does, then, well. And Zidane still had Blanc, Deschamps, thuram as co leaders and in 98, he was anything but what you say and the great supernatural leader lost his head in the 2006 final too.
Besides, Messi is 23. Where were those players you talk about with 23? Just because he has been killing everybody on the field left and right, it doesn't mean that you should also forget about his age. In 4 years he will be 27 and maybe by then he will have that personality. Right now however he doesn't and he doesn't even have it at Barca. Again, you are making him something he never was and isn't but something he might grow into.

Tevez did. He tried very hard and was all over the field.
Yes, that's the point. he was all over the field except where he was supposed to be(wide right or left pressing against fullbacks).

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
As Shawshank said, iranians really put too much into that star thing. Some iranians think if your name is Messi, or Zidane, Maradona, you simply have to do something extraordinary every single time you enter a football pitch absolutely ignoring the fact that there are 11 other guys on the other side of the pitch who could put together a great performance and beat anyone on that particular day. From Di Stefano, to Puskas, up to Maradona and Zidane they all have experienced such days on numerous occasions.
Frankly, I'm baffled by this idea and obsession of having 1 superior leader who does everything. It's scary. Why? Really!

Even MJ had Pippen, Grant, Rodman, Phil Jackson etc. even the most egocentric player of our days Kobe needs Gasol, Artest, Ariza, Fisher...

Why this obsession with having 1 player who has to be a spiritual, material and everything else leader on the field?
Even Uruguay has guys like Lugano and Fucile in the team who share leadership with Forlan, who also has a great coach in Tabarez.

Messi19

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
Argentina needed Zanetti, this guy was the leader of the team and the defense that stopped the most dangerous attacking team in the world(Xavi, Inestia, Messi, Pedro,Ibra) in Barca with 10 men and you leave him off the team for that useless Heinze, Demechlies and Otamendi who were shit in defense? come on! The team had a crappiest defense out of the last 8 teams and they paid for it. and it not Messi's job to get the ball from his own half and dribble 11 players and score a goal, he is great but he is not Jesus Christ and can't walk on water. Too bad Messi picked Argentina over Spain, or we would be seeing total magic now in the world cup that we will never see. Messi-Xavi-Iniesta-Alonso-Villa-Pique-Puyol-Casilias-Ramos-Sergio-Torres! WOW!!

Last edited:

Abedzaadeh

IPL Player
Jan 23, 2003
Argentina needed Zanetti, this guy was the leader of the team and the defense that stopped the most dangerous attacking team in the world(Xavi, Inestia, Messi, Pedro,Ibra) in Barca with 10 men and you leave him off the team for that useless Heinze, Demechlies and Otamendi who were shit in defense? come on! The team had a crappiest defense out of the last 8 teams and they paid for it. and it not Messi's job to get the ball from his own half and dribble 11 players and score a goal, he is great but he is not Jesus Christ and can't walk on water. Too bad Messi picked Argentina over Spain, or we would be seeing total magic now in the world cup that we will never see. Messi-Xavi-Iniesta-Alonso-Villa-Pique-Puyol-Casilias-Ramos-Sergio-Torres! WOW!!
Good points. However Messi did fall short (in terms of being compared to the all time greats) not in Saturdays game, but in Barcelona's semi final with Inter Milan. Thats where he had a complete team around him but they got knocked out. OK had the referee done his job right over the 2 legs, Barca would have gone through despite Inter's efforts, but still Messi was least effective in those games.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Good points. However Messi did fall short (in terms of being compared to the all time greats) not in Saturdays game, but in Barcelona's semi final with Inter Milan. Thats where he had a complete team around him but they got knocked out. OK had the referee done his job right over the 2 legs, Barca would have gone through despite Inter's efforts, but still Messi was least effective in those games.
First leg, yes. Second leg, he had an incredible shot saved by an incredible dive of Julio Cesar and I'm willing to bet that no other keeper would have saved that, and he also served Bojan a goal on a platter, where he failed to score with a header.
Even against Chelsea in the 2nd leg, what people seem to forget is that he was the guy who gave Iniesta the pass. Most other players(read Ronaldo) would have tried to score themselves, but he saw his teammate.
Which takes us to the next point that because of the way he grew up as a player and the school he went through, he needs more his teammates in most cases than they might even need him.

Abedzaadeh

IPL Player
Jan 23, 2003
First leg, yes. Second leg, he had an incredible shot saved by an incredible dive of Julio Cesar and I'm willing to bet that no other keeper would have saved that, and he also served Bojan a goal on a platter, where he failed to score with a header.
Even against Chelsea in the 2nd leg, what people seem to forget is that he was the guy who gave Iniesta the pass. Most other players(read Ronaldo) would have tried to score themselves, but he saw his teammate.
Which takes us to the next point that because of the way he grew up as a player and the school he went through, he needs more his teammates in most cases than they might even need him.
Yes and I point those 2 instances of the second leg out to those who dismiss Messi, but as one of his biggest fans, I think in order to be seen in the same class of Maradonna, he should have done more than that. However he is still very young and in terms of age/achievement comparison, he is ahead of Maradonna. But not all players get better with age; Michael Owens peak was when he was 18! and Ithink we probably have seen the best of christiano Ronaldo. we shall see with Messi.

Aug 26, 2005
As much as people compare Messi and Maradona, in a few ways they're actually pretty different. Maradona played deeper for Argentina/Napoli and was as much of a playmaker as he was a goal-scorer. He not only finished plays well, he was pivotal in getting play started. Messi has more of a reliance on players getting the ball to him.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Yes and I point those 2 instances of the second leg out to those who dismiss Messi, but as one of his biggest fans, I think in order to be seen in the same class of Maradonna, he should have done more than that. However he is still very young and in terms of age/achievement comparison, he is ahead of Maradonna. But not all players get better with age; Michael Owens peak was when he was 18! and Ithink we probably have seen the best of christiano Ronaldo. we shall see with Messi.
It's all about attitude. This World Cup will define Messi's career. He will either go back to Barcelona, train harder, work more on free kicks and his shooting and become an even better player, or he won't.
The difference with Messi and Owen is that Messi in Argentina has way too many critics in the press, which he doesn't in Spain and also, he has a certain chip on his shoulder, because he had to get through a lot of hard times and always had to prove himself. So, he has to prove himself again and still has 4 years left to do so.
Further, there's a difference in having Gerard Houillier and Pep Guardiola as manager.

Ronaldo, I don't know. Ronaldo's major problem is his attitude...it serves him at times well too because he is confident, but his attitude and arrogance are at times his obstacle.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
As much as people compare Messi and Maradona, in a few ways they're actually pretty different. Maradona played deeper for Argentina/Napoli and was as much of a playmaker as he was a goal-scorer. He not only finished plays well, he was pivotal in getting play started. Messi has more of a reliance on players getting the ball to him.
His best games in this tournament were the ones he had Veron in the team, who got him the ball. Really, leaving Veron out, no matter how not fit or whatever he was, was the crucial mistake.

He left Cambiasso and Banega out, because he wanted to play Veron, which to me made sense, because Veron was the group's leader. But then he left Veron out too, which made leaving Cambiasso and Banega out even more stupid.

Aug 26, 2005
There is a video on Youtube showcasing Maradona's passing. As you can see, he played deep enough where many of his passes were Xavi-like. In fact, Iniesta is probably more like him than Messi.

[video=youtube;--ACUzCCza8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ACUzCCza8[/video]

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
What joke this guy was! For years I tried to tell lajoka clowns that scoring in laliga means shit, its more worthless than scoring in IPL and not all the hollywooding in the world is gonna make it impressive.

:e now has proved that he was nothing but a star of a shit league with no real credentials in being called a superstar let alone a successor to great maradonna. As opposed to maradonna he has yet to show up for a big game in his entire life!

Don't any ISP clown here ever compare him to maradonna ever again!

Aabgoosht

4 Servings

500 grams lamb or beef
1 cup of chicken peas (Nokhod)
1 cup of dried white beans
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium potatos, peeled
2 medium tomatos
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric & black pepper

Directions:

Wash the meat and put it in a medium size pot, half filled with water, add the peas and beans, the onion, salt, turmeric and pepper and let it cook for 1-2 hours on medium-low heat.

Add the potatos and the tomatos (they get too soft too soon if you add them at the beginning), and let it cook on low heat until all the ingredients are soft.

Take the pot out, separate the juice from the ingredients and pour the ingredients in a bowl and using a potato masher (goosht-koob) or something similar, finely mash the whole mixture. Taste a small portion and add more salt/pepper if needed. When the mixture has a smooth texture, it can be served.

The juice (Aab) is also served in separate bowls. The idea is to mix it with small pieces of Iranian bread (or pita bread or any kind of Middle Eastern breads).

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
well you can say the same thing about Rooney and Torres.

Also David Villa scored in that shit la liga and is the scoring leader in World Cup too.

But yes you can't compare him to Maradona but not because of skill level. He just doesn't have that leadership gene to carry the whole team. With Diego he would have even convinced his mom to go to bed with satan if it was needed for the victory, Messi can never be that.

Also David Villa scored in that shit la liga and is the scoring leader in World Cup too.

But yes you can't compare him to Maradona but not because of skill level. He just doesn't have that leadership gene to carry the whole team. With Diego he would have even convinced his mom to go to bed with satan if it was needed for the victory, Messi can never be that.
make sure you wash the meat first

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
That wasn't Messi's job however. Messi's job was to win the games. The leaders were supposed to be Veron and Mascherano, plus Samuel and Heinze. If Maradona leaves 2 of the leaders out, leaves 1 of them playing against 3 and heinze does what Heinze does, then, well. And Zidane still had Blanc, Deschamps, thuram as co leaders and in 98, he was anything but what you say and the great supernatural leader lost his head in the 2006 final too.
Besides, Messi is 23. Where were those players you talk about with 23? Just because he has been killing everybody on the field left and right, it doesn't mean that you should also forget about his age. In 4 years he will be 27 and maybe by then he will have that personality. Right now however he doesn't and he doesn't even have it at Barca. Again, you are making him something he never was and isn't but something he might grow into.
This is what i tried to point out earlier in this thread. I even lined up some crucial losses of all those great football players in much more important games than this one in 1/4 of a wc. Maradona was degraded to a nothing in 1990 final game against Germany by one single physicall defender that you certainly know: Guido Buchwald. Germans still call him Diego lol

Hell this little guy lost a football game at the age of 23 against a team that i doubt would have lost a football game on that day, regardless of the opponent. They were well prepared and they were hot and they responded from get go.

Let me give you another example: MJ is the best BBall player this world has ever had. As he was drafted by the Bulls, Chicago was the worst team in the league being used to losing for decades. They used to play infront of 8000 spectators in their home games, they were the NJ Nets of those times. You know what? Even with MJ the Bulls still kept losing! He made 40 points and they still lost, he made 50 and more and they still lost and that was the point the Bulls organization realized a Jordan alone was not enough. The same goes out to Messi, people have seen this kid can play no one can deny it, i wont deny it either and i am a guy who never liked the argentine because i dont like the mentality but its not the point now. The point is we all know what this guy is capable of, we only have to realize that he is just a human who can have off days just like the best of the best always had and will always have. Just like that: OFF DAYS.

I have seen Zidane play HORRIBLE matches even as an established star. Really, who cares that Messi has lost a football game? Btw, who says he lost it? Argentina lost it, there were another 10 argentine on the field who had enough to do with themselves and the germans to support Messi and Messi like any other star player needs help to be able to help. This is not Tennis nor Bowling. Its football.

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007

Noone called Ronney and torres successor of maradonna and world's greatest - even though I'll pick them ahead of messi for my team. In fact except for this world cup ronney and torres have been more clutch in big games for their teams than has messi

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Noone called Ronney and torres successor of maradonna and world's greatest - even though I'll pick them ahead of messi for my team. In fact except for this world cup ronney and torres have been more clutch in big games for their teams than has messi
care to elaborate in which finals either Rooney or Torres have scored?

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
care to elaborate in which finals either Rooney or Torres have scored?
torres EC 2008 final and many more for liverpool, Ronney last year alone scored against Bayern and destroyed Milan and in many other important games against 1st class opponenets.

Messi unless a 3rd rate team can not seem to be able to pull a bollywood, his hommie Ronaldino was the same.