OFFICIAL ISP FORUMS POLL on Next TM Coach

Next coach for TM should be...

• Total voters

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Daei will be a disaster.

But it seems inevitable that at some point he will get the job.
bezar oonham biyad teresho bezane va bere. harchi zoodtar behtar ta az sharresh khalas beshim.
my sentiments exactlyyyyy..but I'd rather 30 him in charge for Asian Cup than screwing our World Cup. Put him in charge for AC 2011,and let him screw us up then, but not in World Cup please...

bebin ma cheghadr badbakht shodim..

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
My choice would be Branko Cullina. He's the only Croatian I know without an "ic"?

LOL, but seriously he's a fantastic coach. He's coaching Sydney FC at the moment. Has all the coaching qualifications one could poke a stick at and is proven at turning, young, talented underachieving and underrated charges to superstar teams!
I recommended him to Pejman Nozad a few years ago but he mentioned IFF was about to sign some portuguese dude then. That didn't happen and we got stuck with the wrong Branko!

This guy is good! He really is! I promise!

Blazevic

Bench Warmer
Aug 1, 2004
Im surprised by the amount of votes that Ali Daei has had. By far the most popular Iranian figure but we should know that it would be highly impractical for Daei to manage the old generation (Kia, Vahid, Karimi, etc...)

If these guys went out then it would be far more possible.

Btw, Kaabi had some flattering things to say about Daei and he is part of the group that you thought wouldnt really " play " for Daei Westie jaan! ;)
Daei would be a great coach, but not now. He needs to gain more experience and hopefully top it with a formal European coaching training

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
Daei is the obvious choice but needs two prerequisites to be able to do a great job.

1. He needs a team in charge of IFF that would fully back him, give him total control and not buckle under the stupid comments that would be coming towards him from his personal enemies in the media and certain teammates.

2. He would need to get rid of all the current players and bring in young and fresh new blood in the team. Players who won’t be "sang e yek man" and would follow whatever he says.

By virtue of caps Daei would be the most internationally experienced Iranian coach (and perhaps among many would be foreign choices as well). He has the experience of playing in 2 world cups. He has the experience having played for best teams in Germany and having played in UEFA. As a player he has experienced more coaches (both in TM and club level) than any other player. And to top it all of he is one of the most educated people in the world of football (and having certain level of IQ is a big plus for a coach).

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
Daei is the obvious choice but needs two prerequisites to be able to do a great job.

1. He needs a team in charge of IFF that would fully back him, give him total control and not buckle under the stupid comments that would be coming towards him from his personal enemies in the media and certain teammates.

2. He would need to get rid of all the current players and bring in young and fresh new blood in the team. Players who won’t be "sang e yek man" and would follow whatever he says.

By virtue of caps Daei would be the most internationally experienced Iranian coach (and perhaps among many would be foreign choices as well). He has the experience of playing in 2 world cups. He has the experience having played for best teams in Germany and having played in UEFA. As a player he has experienced more coaches (both in TM and club level) than any other player. And to top it all of he is one of the most educated people in the world of football (and having certain level of IQ is a big plus for a coach).

what does all of that got to do with being a good coach? Mourinho didn't play for any big club, didn't have any big coach next to him but takes all other coaches to school.

Daei needs to visit 5 coaching courses, spend a couple of years as a coach for a club, then we can talk about him becoming a coach.
right now his experience as a coach is less than Ghalenoies.

Oct 1, 2004
Calderon. He did miracles with the Saudi National team and their team played very well in the world cup qualifications and beat South Korea home and away comfortably. He also put aside older players like Jaber but was fired because the federation there thought he was too anti Al-Hilal. If they had Calderon for World Cup they would have done much better.

If we can't get a good foreign coach, then I recommend 2 co-managers. Mayeli Kohan and Zolfagharnasab. Kohan will bring in the discipline and he doesn't take shit or attitude from anyone. Plus he will revitalize the team. Zolfagharnasab will help the team mentally and in terms of tactics.

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
what does all of that got to do with being a good coach? Mourinho didn't play for any big club, didn't have any big coach next to him but takes all other coaches to school.

Daei needs to visit 5 coaching courses, spend a couple of years as a coach for a club, then we can talk about him becoming a coach.
right now his experience as a coach is less than Ghalenoies.
The point of all that is not necessarily him having played football himself but rather the experience that he has gained thru his exposures with various coaches and circumstances in his long career as a footballer. Coaches like Mourinho or Carlos Parreira may not have distinguished histories as players but when you look at their coaching history you notice that they gained the experience by having worked along great coaches and big teams as physical trainers or assistant coaches. On the other hand, other great national team coaches like Scolari, Jacquet, Beckenbauer, Lippi, or Bilardo gained their experience as players having played for great teams when they were younger.

Choosing a TM coach is not much different than choosing a manager for your business. In hiring a manager one obviously looks at both experience and "theoretical" education. Clearly an established successful performance would usually trump over just "education". For example, if the choice was between an uneducated person who on his CV shows successful CEO of a major company then one would hire him over a recent graduate of Harvard business school. But if the choice was between the OK manager of a local 7-11 or McDonalds and a recent graduate of Harvard business school then I think one can reasonably assume that the recent Harvard graduate would have equal if not better odds of being a good choice for manager than the manager of the 7-11.

The same analogy holds true for a national team coach. We have to look at the choices and the reality of the coaches that Iran can afford to hire. When the choices are between coaches who have little to no personal experience as players on the international scene and only carry a mediocre track records as managers with average teams vs someone like Daei who at the very least has a very impressive track record as a player (including all the theoretical experiences I already mentioned) then I think it becomes evident why he would be an obvious choice to be TM coach. Of course, him gaining more experience as club coach would only further strengthen his credibility.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
The same analogy holds true for a national team coach. We have to look at the choices and the reality of the coaches that Iran can afford to hire. When the choices are between coaches who have little to no personal experience as players on the international scene and only carry a mediocre track records as managers with average teams vs someone like Daei who at the very least has a very impressive track record as a player (including all the theoretical experiences I already mentioned) then I think it becomes evident why he would be an obvious choice to be TM coach. Of course, him gaining more experience as club coach would only further strengthen his credibility.

ok maybe it wasnt said clearly, but a player(no matter how impressive he was in his playing time) CANNOT and should NOT be allowed to become a National team coach without passing several FIFA coaching courses,going abroad to learn Modern football, learning about implementing different tactics depending on course of the game, learning about science of fitness and nutrition, and how to best train players for International tournaments.

Daei hasent worked under top coaches really to learn these stuff..Ivic was the best he worked under and that was a very short period. The rest were pathetic coaches like Maylikohan, Branko, Ghalenoie,etc with no/slim share of modern knowledge.

But I know this is Iran we are talking about, and majority of our IPL coaches do not possess FIFA Coaching degree,and yet they get results, which sadly shows what a deymi football we have and what a HUGE gap our IPL football has compare to modern teams in rest of the world.

Therefore that makes an IPL coach absolutely unqualified to coach our TM bc of the reasons mentioned above.

PJ

IPL Player
Oct 18, 2002
I voted for Denizli only because I was trying to be realistic. He has worked in Iran for a long time and he can get a long with the Iranians. That is the main advantage he has over some bigger names. But hey I am open to anyone better. It is too early for Daie. Maybe for AC2011.

romario187

Bench Warmer
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles
just voted for Denzili, because he seems the most realistic choice. Troussier is overrated IMHO, and Daei has a long way to go before becoming TM head coach. Ghalenoei had zero international experience as a coach, and was basically fed to the wolves, same would happen with Daei.

I still believe that GN is the best young coach in Iran, and had he had more international experience the stage wouldn't have got to him. Let's not forget how Esteghlal played while he was the coach, it was the most fluent play out of any teams in IPL including Pas under Denzili.

I read an interesting article recently about Fekri taking coaching classes and said will continue to pursue it until he receives the highest coaching certificate from FIFA, and I hope other people take notice and follow in his footsteps.

MohammadLin

Bench Warmer
Aug 9, 2004
Ari Han is probably the best, but it just won't happen so I'll go with Denizli.

And what's up with 11 votes for Daie! Man, Some Iranians must always go to extreme! No wonder we will produce coaches like GN.
Daie has no freaking coaching experience, I have supported Daie as player as he has been a hard working and effective player. But with what exact logic did you vote for him to be the coach! God!!! I think whoever voted for Daie should follow these prescriptions for three month
0. start with playing Football dasti (fusball it is?)
1. be banned from commenting about football
2. read about football history for 3 hours on daily basis.
3. watch 5 hours of quality European football

eshghi

News Team
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, CA
gimme Brazilian! Vieira or Luxemburgo! I'd prefer Lux, but he is not likely due to his salary requirements. Daei not right now. Probably in another few years. His discipline may just be what our non-disciplined kids need. I know one thing. Even if you are a super-superstar, Daei will sub you out without any fear if you're not performing.

Hate to sound negative after all this, but as long as the federation continues to insist on interfering in the coach's decisions, it may not matter who we choose. The good ones refuse to be yes-men, and the yes-men are not likely to be that good.

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
ok maybe it wasnt said clearly, but a player(no matter how impressive he was in his playing time) CANNOT and should NOT be allowed to become a National team coach without passing several FIFA coaching courses,going abroad to learn Modern football, learning about implementing different tactics depending on course of the game, learning about science of fitness and nutrition, and how to best train players for International tournaments.
Like I said before, it's not his "impressive playing time" that qualifies him to be a coach but rather his immense amount experience both at the club level and TM. But I agree that coaching classes also help. Surely there are things to be learnt in those classes from other coaches. But by virtue of having played in Bundesliga Daei already has the UEFA B LICENSE and the next step for him would be going for the UEFA A license which I doubt many or even any Iranian coach having at this point.

Daei hasent worked under top coaches really to learn these stuff..Ivic was the best he worked under and that was a very short period. The rest were pathetic coaches like Maylikohan, Branko, Ghalenoie,etc with no/slim share of modern knowledge.
Hmm. Don't forget his coaches at the club level as well, including: Ernst Middendorp (Armenia Bielefeld), Jurgen Rober (Hertha Berlin), Ottmar Hitzfeld (Bayern Munich)

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
Hmm. Don't forget his coaches at the club level as well, including: Ernst Middendorp (Armenia Bielefeld), Jurgen Rober (Hertha Berlin), Ottmar Hitzfeld (Bayern Munich)
thanks .. that's what i was about to post too! but personally i think it's too early for daei yet anyway.. i want him to show off with saipa in asia for this year.. actually may not be a bad idea to keep GN for another year and then let Daei take over.. not like we gonna be upto much for the next year anyway.. may as well save our money and also allow daei to get ready! lol :p

mashtnaghi

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
I don't know much about many of the people lsited here. All I know is that I can not see GN in charge. I am still not over what he did.

Babak G

News Team, ISP Managers Team
Feb 13, 2003
Parts Unknown
Daei has worked under some of the best coaches during his career, from Ivic, Blazevic to Hitzfeld. A total of lets say 5 years under good coaches. Thats invaluable experience!

However, Daei should bide his time, prove he wasnt a one season wonder at Saipa and after the WC then lets look at it again.