Sochi Winter Olympics

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
We finished 3rd in medal standings behind Russia and Norway and with one less medal than the 2010 Winter Olympics that was by far our best showing. Interestingly Russia was not even in the top 10 in medal standings last time which just goes to show how important home "field" advantage is. Overall EXCELLENT performances from Canadian athletes - they truly made us proud.

Final Medal Standings for all countries from the official site of the 2014 Winter Olympics: http://www.sochi2014.com/en/medal-standings

May 1, 2012
Nicklas Backstrom failed a drug test.

Too much hair product perhaps? :)

Gold for the best team in the history of the olympics. 3 goals against, beating Haseks 5 GA record.

Carey Price tournament MVP. Was there ever any doubt?

Oh baby!

Nov 24, 2002
Temmu Selanee MVP of tournament .

Here is team of torunement :

Goalie : Price
Defense : Karlsson ,Doughty

Forward : Kessel ,Granlund,Temmu Selanee

obviously many many players could make it there, Tukka Rask, Weber, Getzlaf, Toews,kronwall..

No one from Russia :) , many people bashed Babcock to play so defensive but in fact defense win you championship and what a demonstration in defense by TEAM CANADA . man these guys are good , fast , dominating, big and tough to play against jay bou 6 4 , peterangelo 6 3 ,weber 6 3 , keith 6 2 , doughty 6, Vlasic 6 1 !!!
http://www.cbssports.com/olympics/e...elanne-named-mvp-of-olympic-hockey-tournament

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2007
best Canadian team ever according to Stevie Yzerman !!!!

thats definately going too far, as far as stars are concerned this was the least star studded canadian team ever! i mean how can you compare them to any team since 88 really? but yes as far as team performance is concerned they put together a great bunch of guys who understood and played flaweless for the team - very european in that sense actualy!

Oct 1, 2004
thats definately going too far, as far as stars are concerned this was the least star studded canadian team ever! i mean how can you compare them to any team since 88 really? but yes as far as team performance is concerned they put together a great bunch of guys who understood and played flaweless for the team - very european in that sense actualy!

I think as a cohesive unit he's right.
As for individual players then no. The 87, and 02 teams were full of great individual players.

Nov 24, 2002
well I didn't see any Canada defense as good as this team , 2002 defense was good but not as organized as this year. as I said the game has changed and teams play more tight and defensive and became like chess game and is game of mistake now , that was Canada force coming to this tournament. also their attack was amazing , when you have Rick Nash on your 4th line guys like Giroux, Eric Staal , Jaime Neal, Tylor seguin , Tylor Hall etc out then you have hell of team ..

Nov 24, 2002
sTEVE YZER leaving
Pierre LeBrun ‏
Yzerman was serious. He's stepping down as Canada's Olympic executive director. Says it's time to let someone else get a shot at it.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Well congratulations to team Canada, the men's and the women's team both made a clean sweep and took home gold. I'm sure this will make our Canadian based friends on here very happy.