Tehran, second worst city to live in the world

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
Because I have family who depend on me here. Because I have a high paying job and multiple business engagements here that provide for me and a few other people. .
BT Aziz, Isn't this blessing and testament to the greatness of this land that at such a young age, you already have a high paying job that not only takes a good care of you BUT also allows you to take care of your loved ones ??!!

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
What kind of field are you talking about ? I am sure it is not IT or engineering because myself and many friends of mine, not only managed to live independently while paying off our student loans, we also managed to save money, buy house and cars within few years after graduation.
exactly, what i learned in this country, if you know ur shit, if you show potential you WILL be rewarded and i love it because of that.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
hence why i realized Vancouver (or canada in general) is the best place for ME, so instead of bitching i started loving where i live and it has made things so much easier for me, the rain is beautiful now rather than shit, the cold is fun etc. my point is either try to do something about what you dont like, or just accept it and enjoy your life there as i said Life is too damn short to be bitching :)
Pooya Jan, that is called being positive, finding big joys in small things and .... This is fantastic attitude to have and this is when you can actually enjoy living anywhere that you are.

Oct 18, 2002
also I think there is a miscalculation in ur $20,000 figure of a single professional being able to have his own place in Toronto.
$20,000(assuming its net-income) is $1666. Unless he shares his apartment with some1, he cant pay $1500 net mortgage!! If one month his room-mate moves out, he wont be able to survive. And thats conditional to if he has permanent job than contract job. cuz after recession, there are more contract positions than perm-basis. so ur monthly affordability of ur mortgage/rent on $1666 income is not guaranteed bc of nature of ur job being a contract.
You are right, it was a misstatement not miscalculation. I meant to say "living alone" and by mistake said "a place of his own"! Obviously with a $20,000/year income, even double that, one cannot qualify for mortgage of any kind. However if one is renting, it is possible to rent a place and still manage.

Your point about student debt is absolutely correct too. I assumed a graduate student without remaining debt from his/her undergrad days. But I guess that's more applicable to those who like us did thei rundergrad studies in their home country. In some fields such as engineering and IT/computers most above-average students I have seen get their bachelor's almost debt free (through summer jobs and c-op work).

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
In some fields such as engineering and IT/computers most above-average students I have seen get their bachelor's almost debt free (through summer jobs and c-op work).
Not anymore aziz, not anymore. Although irrelevant to the subject of this thread, I know that unless a student has their parents vastly contribute to their education expenses, there's absolutely no way to get a degree without at least a $20,000 debt.

Almost all my coworkers in my age group are just finishing paying off their student loans (I just turned 30). I paid all mine off when I managed to earn $60,000 in excess net income having done 1 straight year of on-call duty (24/7 availability) while living at home with my parents. That was an exceptional streak for me and helped me get on my feet at an early age. None of the people I know in my field ever took on such a monumental and somewhat stupid task like that.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Dear BT,
Are hiring? I'm available and ready for immediate relocation.:D

BTW: Please don't thread on IDM, he is in painful process of passing a kidney stone. Be easy on him.

Fatso

Captain
Oct 1, 2004
You are right, it was a misstatement not miscalculation. I meant to say "living alone" and by mistake said "a place of his own"! Obviously with a $20,000/year income, even double that, one cannot qualify for mortgage of any kind. However if one is renting, it is possible to rent a place and still manage.

Your point about student debt is absolutely correct too. I assumed a graduate student without remaining debt from his/her undergrad days. But I guess that's more applicable to those who like us did thei rundergrad studies in their home country. In some fields such as engineering and IT/computers most above-average students I have seen get their bachelor's almost debt free (through summer jobs and c-op work).
That's very rare now.
I did my undergrad (civil eng) in Canada, and unless your parents are loaded or you have a very well paying summer job (very rare) you will have debt after 4 or 5 years of 20 to 30k.

And I don't care what the older generation say. If you're in your mid 20s, a professional and even if you have a decent job, buying a decent piece of property without being completely locked down and essentially losing your freedom for 40 years is not possible.

Mehran(ISP)

<b>Administrator</b>
Oct 16, 2002
MD, USA
now u tell me, how can a person without having a "high-paying" job and "no access to credit-cards", and no "car" as you put it, spend $1500 a month on rent/mortgage of a one bedroom apartment in Toronto(which with all other expenses will come to $2200 expenses per month) and survive?! They simply cant..unless they work 2 jobs..one has to earn at least $50k gross income to be able to survive in this city. which its crappy transportation is worse than Montreal's(based on national stats) and its traffic jam is worse than LA. There goes the reality of Toronto's ranking in this list!
It's actually real simple, find a two bedroom apartment for $2,000 and get a room mate. Better yet, get a three bedroom apartment for $2,600 and find two room mates. There are hundreds of listings on Craigslist. You don't have live by yourself, and if you're married you have two incomes to support your living expenses. Per the above math of $2,200, two people working 40 hours of weeks and only making $10 an hour can bring in $3,200 a month. Save that $1,000 a month and do whatever you want from it. Noone making $10 an hour in that situation has $100k to get a mortgage so you work with what your given.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Nilou i used to hate Vancouver not long ago , bitch everyday because of the rain hated the people etc, then i tried to move to a different place, Europe was out because of the reasons you mentioned, and I hate living in US, asia is not my thing either, hence why i realized Vancouver (or canada in general) is the best place for ME, so instead of bitching i started loving where i live and it has made things so much easier for me, the rain is beautiful now rather than shit, the cold is fun etc. my point is either try to do something about what you dont like, or just accept it and enjoy your life there as i said Life is too damn short to be bitching :)
oh yeah ur right..thats what I do for 6 months a year every year! but also more I visit other cities in Canada, U.S and Europe, more open Im to concept of relocation at certain age,under certain conditions.
ie, Just like Mahdi was recommending London only to single ppl with high incomes until mid-30's, same is happening at Toronto. Its simply not an ideal place to raise a family,etc considering its crappy weather, stressful lifestyle, expensive to maintain a comfortable lifestyle,etc. unless one's target is only $ factor and thats all!