"The west has picked a fight with Iran that it cannot win"

Feb 22, 2005
Pahlavoon great post.

One has to realize that even during Khatami time, the majlis members were being called to judiciary and put into prison or threated to be put into prison. So much for the freedom under the IR. And since now the pasdaran and Basijis have taken over, CHIEF, REZA, and Ashtar, are you telling us that you bellieve that the regime will be able to reform? Are majority of the Iranian suppose to sit around waiting.

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
R_E_Z_A said:
Great response ashtar jan. I can say that I also belong to the group which you described, a group which belives in free and prosperous Iran. Iran which we can be proud of its herritage and religion. I am aware of shortcommings of the current regime. There is no point coming and saying it here, there is already a sea of exaggurated negatives on this forum. In real life when I am talking to unbiased people or people who are pro-Islamic republic, I am somehow critical to some aspect of the regime. However, in general I am with the current regime, because as you said the wrongs can be gradually put right in the evolutionar process which is going on.
Indeed, I hardly know anyone even within IR itself who would belong to the 1st group that Abouzar was referring to. Every body wants to somehow reform the system and government. Even Khamenei himself acknowledges problems with the system and government that need to be fixed and modified. Ahmadinejad (the conservative president) had his entire campaign around the problems within IRI that need to be fixed. So did Khatami (the liberal president). But there is a big difference between acknowledging and trying to fix problems and focusing on some problems and trying to change everything else as well.

Feb 22, 2005
Ashtar, if you really think AN's talk of problem solving is what majority of people want, you need to give us more detail.

Is is not true that he is taking the country towards more islamic fundamentalism such as getting rid of the small amount of freedom khatami brought with culture, film, and art. Other problems with country is it being illegal for most parties to participate in the government. Only akhoonds being in top posts, etc..

In every government whether democracy or dictatorship, there is always talk of problems with the government that needs to improve.

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
Pahlevoon Nayeb said:
Agha ashtar,
I am an Iranian. I also happen to be a Moslem.

If tomorrow I were asked to choose between Iran and Islam, I’d first laugh at the person asking and then I’d say I’d choose Iran.

Well, that’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. But quite frankly I don’t understand what it means to “choose between Iran and Islam”. To me that is simply a meaningless saying invented by anti-Islamists to give this false illusion that somehow there is a contrast or animosity between Iran and Islam.

Pahlevoon Nayeb said:
You see, to me a religion is something extremely personal.

I agree that religion can be extremely personal. But I think it can also be something very public. Religions, in general, were created in response to certain social/public issues and problems. Most accepted religions of today may have many rules and rituals pertaining to personal life and behavior but ultimately their original intent has been to guide the society via guiding each personal individual.

This is a very sophisticated, long, separate and irrelevant topic at this point. It requires and deserves its own separate thread. I don’t want to get side-tracked on this issue but just wanted to have briefly responded to this common claim.

Pahlevoon Nayeb said:
A person either is a Moslem or he/she is not. I cannot force you to be one nor can I force you to stop being one.

In general I agree with you on that.

Pahlevoon Nayeb said:
But, this is exactly what IRI has proceeded to do for its entire existence.

I disagree with that completely. You know well that this is a huge exaggeration on your part. IRI may have designed its social laws based on certain interpretation of Islam but that is hardly the same as trying to force anyone to become or be a Muslim. If you go to visit a mosque and they force you to take your shoes off it doesn’t mean that they are forcing you to be a Muslim. Just as wearing a Kippah while visiting a synagogue does not make one Jewish. They are simply the rules of the house. By the same token IRI enforcing social dress code or outlawing alcohol or other social laws are not the same as forcing someone to a Muslim.

Currently, Iranians Moslems will be executed if they choose to convert to some other religion.

Not if you do it in private. The issue only becomes problematic if you try to advertise your new religion. But you shouldn’t have to advertise because as people like you continue to argue, religion is a very private matter.

Similarly, Iranian Bahais are demonized

So are the Iranian Muslims and Mullahs who are backed by the British or try to advance their cause.

and our fellow Christian and Jew countrymen marginalized.

That’s something that can be reformed to make them less marginalized. Although an unbiased observer will point out that they are the least marginalized religious groups among all the middle eastern countries (including Christian and Muslim minorities living in Israel).

Right around the beginning of the revolution, Ayatollah Kahlkhali – a butcher, according to many – was asked which came first to him, Iran or Islam. He did not hesitate before answering Islam! He then went on to propose to change the name of the Persian Gulf to some ridiculous name such as the Islamic Gulf.

So what? Who gives a shit what Khalkhali had to say? Islam over Iran was his personal opinion (in that nonsensical question) just as Iran over Islam was your personal opinion. As for Persian Gulf, IRI’s official policy from its very first day has been defending Iran’s territorial integrity and if there’s one thing one can’t accuse them of is selling Iran short on that regard.

You mentioning Khalkhali is like someone mentioning Pat Robertson or Billy Graham as evidence against US government or constitution. They are all irrelevant.

According to Webster dictionary, a patriot is one who LOVES, SUPPORTS, and DEFENDS one’s country, NOT religion! Seems to me, Mr. Khalkhaly qualifies as the very essence of a non-patriot!

1st, what Khalkhali thinks or feels is irrelevant.
2nd, One can love, support and defend one’s country while at the same time love, support, and defend his religion. Perfect examples are the patriotic-religious soldiers who fought for Iran and Islam during the war with Iraq. Like I said before the whole notion of choosing Iran over Islam or vis versa is nonsensical.
3rd, Being an absolute patriot is not always the best and ideal thing. Charles Chaplin for example considered himself “first and internationalist and then a nationalist”. As such he supported the just causes of “non-Americans” over the unjust causes of “American” policies. To me he was a much better and worthy human being and American compared to J. Hoover who decided to prosecute Chaplin in the name of patriotism.

If, as you say, IRI was such an INCLUSIVE form of government, and for one second forgetting about all it has done to harm IRANIAN national interests, why execute any Iranian who converts? Why exclude Bahais? What if someone decides they want to be atheists? What about including these people?

No body ever claimed that IRI was an all inclusive form of government. Just like every other form of government in the world it is not. Some governments in the world exclude based on political and constitutional beliefs others exclude based on nationality and race, others exclude based on religion and others combination of some or all.

In a short 26 years, IRI has managed to turn an entire generation of Iranian youth against Islam!

Like you said, one can’t force someone to be a Muslim or vise versa. Those youths who have turned against Islam have done so because of their own ignorance about the religion and more because of the propaganda from outside forces that have done everything in their power in the past 26 years to make sure that a strong and independent Islamic government will never succeed.

But, contrary to the Islam practiced by the Mullahs Islam is NOT a religion only preoccupied with matters from waist down. In fact, true Islam is concerned with human SPIRIT more than anything else! Show me one place in Quran that requires women to cover themselves and relinquish their roles into second class citizens! If our so called Ayatollahs and Hojattoleslams cannot restrain themselves when they see an attractive woman walk by – regardless of what she’s wearing – it does not give them a license to destroy an entire religion!
Contrary to the view created by these gentlemen (!) Islam is a religion of love, spirituality, and understanding.

Agree with you 100%. But again, that is a matter that can be dealt with via reform. That’s partially what Khatami tried to do and to small extent succeeded.

And, no one is against the popular will. If a majority of Iranians want this mockery of Islam then so be it. But, how do we know that is the case when the Majlesseh Khobregan keeps vetting candidates, allowing only hand picked candidates to run, essentially giving people no choice at all?

You are confusing to different issues here. One is people accepting certain Mullah’s interpretation of Islam the other is people accepting the constitution of IRI. Majlis e Kohbregan’s vetting of candidates has to do with making sure the candidates believe in the constitution of the government. To that end, both Khobregan and the constitution were accepted by the majority in just “a short 26 years” ago (as you put it).

As for people not accepting the socially implemented interpretation of Isalm (or its mockery) that again is a matter open to reform. Khatami tried to reform it to his own popular point of view and now Ahmadinejad wants to reform it to his own “conservative” point of view.

And, no one is against reform. I am one of the people that are in fact for it. But, just because one is for reform – rather than wholesale destruction of the regime and starting from scratch -- it does not mean that one then closes one’s eyes to the regime's crimes, corruption, and anti-Iranian behavior!

Right on. The opposite also applies that one should not just focus and criticize the problems and should also give credit and praise where they are due.

I feel for the Palestinian plight and staunchly oppose Israeli policies towards them. But, that doesn’t mean I am going to stop supporting my own family, leaving them to fend for themselves so that I can support he Palestinian cause! That is exactly what IRI has been doing for its entire existence!
When Iran is suffering from double-digit inflation and addiction, prostitution, unemployment, lack of opportunity, loss of international prestige and the accompanying loss of power are the order of the day, why does IRI have to spend ANY money on Hezbollah to fight Israel? What is that old saying? “Cheraaghi Keh Beh Khaaneh Ravaast, Beh Masjed Haraamast!!”

It has to spend money on foreign affairs because running a country is not a one dimensional work. It has to support those groups so that other countries would think twice before haphazardly bombing the shit out of your beloved Iran.

If you think that if IRI had not supported those groups than then somehow they would’ve allowed Iran to become a regional power or acquire nuclear tech without difficulty then you are sadly mistaken. It is a stated policy that in that region of the world there can be only one and only one major power and that power is not and can not be allowed to be Iran. Doesn’t matter who’s in control. If it’s Mossadegh then he must be get rid of by a coup if it’s Shah must be get rid of by a revolution if it’s IR it must be get rid of by sanctions, war and other means.

If as you say, Mr. Ahmadinejad is for “Advancement of sciences” then why not just shut the hell up and get on with he job? Why, when he knows Iran is completely surrounded on all sides by American forces, does he have to go and INVITE an American or Israeli attack when he doesn’t have to?

Please, my friend. You are insulting everyone’s intelligence by such comments. He was getting on with his job. If you don’t see that they are looking for an excuse to pick a fight at this specific time then I’m afraid I can’t help you. How many times and in what way does he have to say that Iran doesn’t want nuclear weapons or that Iran doesn’t want to fight a war with anyone?

Weren’t Israel and US making threats against Iran long before Ahmadinejad? Weren’t they saying before him that all military options are on table and they would not allow Iran to have access to nuclear tech?

You can keep your head down and look at your feet and a bully that wants to fight will accuse of you insulting him by ignoring him. And you can look the bully in the eye and he will still accuse you of insulting him for looking at him funny. To sympathize with the bully’s excuses is a tad unfair IMO.

Does he not care about Iranian people’s lives, Iranian history, heritage, and sovereignty? Does this alone not make Ahmadinejad and the whole IRI eligible for the title of a traitorous system?!

Yes they do care about Iran, its history, heritage and sovereignty. They have shown it in their actions defending it and they say it every day in almost every speech they make (only if you care to listen to them). Thus they are not eligible for the title of traitor. Those who wish to see Iran attacked by outside forces or who have worked for 26 years to undermine and destroy people’s choice because of their own pity political gains or losses are the one’s that deserve the title of traitors.

I am a PRACTIING Moslem. I pray five times a day, I meditate, and I keep my body athletic and my mind clean, active, and sharp. THIS to me is Islam! It is EXTREMELY personal. This is also Hejab, Piousness, and righteousness. Nevertheless, you will NEVER catch me arguing what I do as good or bad as it is MY belief, MY understanding, and MY discovery of what god means to me!
Human soul is a funny thing. Just like you cannot shove Democracy down its throat, you cannot force it to accept any religion!

Again, good for you. And I agree with you on these points as well.
I’ve always been a big fan of you and your posts. You need not convince me of your piety.

You see, agha ashtar, I oppose Iranian Shahollahis for the same reason I oppose Iranian Hezbollahis. They both propose a dogmatic view, with disregard to what is truly good for Iran!

Well, I respect both groups for having good intentions even though they may be misguided in certain aspects of their beliefs. And I oppose them on issues that I think they may be wrong.

And, one is a natural reaction to the other. Just like Ahmadinejad and Bush – two of a kind demagogues – remove one from the equation and I guarantee you that the other will just go away as well!

Please, the two individuals are hardly the same.

If AN truly cared about Iran, he would not mess with the hornet’s nest that is the American Imperial ambitions. If not for the truly reactionary character of the IRI, no one would care if Iran had nuclear weapons!

Wishful thinking. I already addressed this issue.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
Ashtar Jan, you must be getting paid over time for all these long responses :)
(Just joking)

I admire your sense of loyalty and persistence to I.R and Islam. If only 20% of us (opposition groups) were as dedicated as you are to our beliefs, I am sure we would have seen a different government in Iran now.

mowj

National Team Player
May 14, 2005
You gotta love it when Larijani and AN have fallen to "Goh Khori" with their pants down running to Russia begging for help.
These bastards are begging Russian who took away most of Iran but continue their sickening rabid behaviour against US and West because it allows them to plunder the country.
The entire regim have dropped their pants and have bent over for Russia and Chian with invitation for the unsatisfied West.
Militarist religious fascists latest manufactured crisis seems to getting out of their hand no matter what they offer, so it is up to people of Iran to turn this crisis to the burial ground for these theives of last 27 years.
The militarist religious fascists brought this dead end situation upon themselves and criminally upon the country but we have to do whatever it takes to make this manufactured crisis an IR's nightmare. And believe it or not that is what has scared the shit out of the neo-thugs more than anyhting else, they suddenly found out people can't wait in an opportune time to use every power poll as a poll of justice for these criminals.
"marg bat Taleban, cheh dar Kabol cheh dar Tehran."

Pahlevoon Nayeb

National Team Player
Oct 17, 2002
Poshteh Kooh
Well, that’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. But quite frankly I don’t understand what it means to “choose between Iran and Islam”. To me that is simply a meaningless saying invented by anti-Islamists to give this false illusion that somehow there is a contrast or animosity between Iran and Islam.
I have for a long time wanted to have a dialogue with you agha ashtar. I often wondered about your stance on issues.

So, like me, you’re saying you don’t see any conflict between our being Iranian and Moslem either. Do you think this is also the case for the people running IRI?

I agree that religion can be extremely personal. But I think it can also be something very public. Religions, in general, were created in response to certain social/public issues and problems. Most accepted religions of today may have many rules and rituals pertaining to personal life and behavior but ultimately their original intent has been to guide the society via guiding each personal individual.
The original intent of school when one starts it at age of 7 is also to teach by going through Baba-Ab-Dad, that doesn’t mean the same lesson needs to be repeated for ever. While an MD needs to be mindful of the alphabet to be able to write, he no longer has to be pre-occupied with making sentences with the alphabet as his main focus in life.

Lack of growth is stagnation and stagnation is death.

I disagree with that completely. You know well that this is a huge exaggeration on your part. IRI may have designed its social laws based on certain interpretation of Islam but that is hardly the same as trying to force anyone to become or be a Muslim. If you go to visit a mosque and they force you to take your shoes off it doesn’t mean that they are forcing you to be a Muslim. Just as wearing a Kippah while visiting a synagogue does not make one Jewish. They are simply the rules of the house. By the same token IRI enforcing social dress code or outlawing alcohol or other social laws are not the same as forcing someone to a Muslim.
Agreed! Technically, IRI forces no one to do anything. Problem is, when all other roads lead to hardship of one sort or the other, then IRI IS in fact forcing something onto people!

This is the basis for liberal democracies: separation of church and state. It allows for people to be however they wish, believe in what they want, see whom they want to see, read as they please, and generally ENJOY life while, hopefully with a vital government of people, by the people, and for the people at the helm, grow culturally, politically, financially, and SPIRITUALY!

Do you know what Dr. Shariati’s reply was when he was asked his opinion about how to raise the level of believers in Islam?

Not if you do it in private. The issue only becomes problematic if you try to advertise your new religion. But you shouldn’t have to advertise because as people like you continue to argue, religion is a very private matter.
Bravo! I agree! Let’s NO one advertise for ANY religion other than IRAN!

So are the Iranian Muslims and Mullahs who are backed by the British or try to advance their cause.
Ashtar jon, be honest, what has hindered our advancement into an ORGANIZED, LOGICAL, and ADVANCED society? Has it been the Bahais or the Mullahs?

Throughout our history, the Mullahs have brought on great and repeated harm onto our nation. When Fattalli Shah lost all of Armenia and Georgia in the Golestan treaty to Russia, it were the Mullahs who were responsible for a hurried, unplanned, and unorganized attack to result in further loss of half of Azarbaijan as well. In Dr. Mossadegh’s era, it was Ayatollah Tabatabai who finally facilitated the return of the Shah by stabbing Sr. Mosadegh in the back!

May ALL traitors to our nation, fokoly or Mullah, go to eternal damnation of hell!

That’s something that can be reformed to make them less marginalized. Although an unbiased observer will point out that they are the least marginalized religious groups among all the middle eastern countries (including Christian and Muslim minorities living in Israel).
I wasn’t comparing Iran with any other nation. IMO, when minorities are in fact marginalized and when the law of the land is causing that to institutionalize, then it ought to be changed.

So what? Who gives a shit what Khalkhali had to say? Islam over Iran was his personal opinion (in that nonsensical question) just as Iran over Islam was your personal opinion. As for Persian Gulf, IRI’s official policy from its very first day has been defending Iran’s territorial integrity and if there’s one thing one can’t accuse them of is selling Iran short on that regard.
Iran over Islam to me is NOT an opinion! If a person would take Islam over Iran it means that, push coming to shove, he would side with ANY Moslem against his own country-man who’d take IRAN over Islam. Is that acceptable to you?

You mentioning Khalkhali is like someone mentioning Pat Robertson or Billy Graham as evidence against US government or constitution. They are all irrelevant.
Khalkhali was the official Chief Revolutionary Prosecutor of IRI whereas Robertson and Graham have never played any official roles in the US.

Graham and Robertson may be dismissed as irrelevant, but Kahlkhali’s comments sure can not!

1st, what Khalkhali thinks or feels is irrelevant.
2nd, One can love, support and defend one’s country while at the same time love, support, and defend his religion. Perfect examples are the patriotic-religious soldiers who fought for Iran and Islam during the war with Iraq. Like I said before the whole notion of choosing Iran over Islam or vis versa is nonsensical.
For your first point, refer to my comment above.

The whole notion of choosing between Iran and Islam IS and SHOULD BE non-essential. Iran MUST come first as when a nation is free, a people are then free to practice ANY religion they wish.

Freedom to choose is a tenet of Islam!

3rd, Being an absolute patriot is not always the best and ideal thing. Charles Chaplin for example considered himself “first and internationalist and then a nationalist”. As such he supported the just causes of “non-Americans” over the unjust causes of “American” policies. To me he was a much better and worthy human being and American compared to J. Hoover who decided to prosecute Chaplin in the name of patriotism.
Charley Chaplin was a great man. To me he was the genius father of comedy with a purpose and a heart. But, Chaplin didn’t have to worry himself about defending HIS country of England. HIS country was powerful, wealthy, and secure; enough to allow a citizen like Chaplin to flourish and shine in arts, free of worrying about basic freedoms and a backward society back home.

You and I do!

No body ever claimed that IRI was an all inclusive form of government. Just like every other form of government in the world it is not. Some governments in the world exclude based on political and constitutional beliefs others exclude based on nationality and race, others exclude based on religion and others combination of some or all.
Here’s a novel idea, how about no one gets excluded at all? How about we allow the other side to speak and let the best side win, waiting our turn for the next go around?

Like you said, one can’t force someone to be a Muslim or vise versa. Those youths who have turned against Islam have done so because of their own ignorance about the religion and more because of the propaganda from outside forces that have done everything in their power in the past 26 years to make sure that a strong and independent Islamic government will never succeed.
Dr. Shariatri’s response to the question as to how to increase the number of true believers in Islam was to abolish “Talimateh Dini” in Iranian schools! Do know why? Because he knew very well that the Islam being thought to the kids was actually re-enforcing their view of Islam as a religion of sorrow, blood, depression, and defeat wrought with matters concerned mainly from waist down!

The problem has not been that IRI has not had ample time to reform itself, it has. And, the people of Iran have given it a chance and benefited as a result.

But, the truly genuine Iranian reform movement died, not just because of the propaganda campaign by the Shahollahis and neocons, but also because of IRI’s own repressive policies and Khatami’s lack of political courage, or will, to turn the corner on backwardness.

Agree with you 100%. But again, that is a matter that can be dealt with via reform. That’s partially what Khatami tried to do and to small extent succeeded.
Where is Khatami today? What happened to the reform movement? Why do news papers continue to be shut down? Why the dark-age repressive policies again?!

You are confusing to different issues here. One is people accepting certain Mullah’s interpretation of Islam the other is people accepting the constitution of IRI. Majlis e Kohbregan’s vetting of candidates has to do with making sure the candidates believe in the constitution of the government. To that end, both Khobregan and the constitution were accepted by the majority in just “a short 26 years” ago (as you put it).
Again, we don’t keep dabbling in Alef Baa when we grow up. People of Iran chose that constitution 26 years ago. What say you we have another referendum? It sure looks like a whole lot of Iranian people want it!

Right on. The opposite also applies that one should not just focus and criticize the problems and should also give credit and praise where they are due.
Agreed. Let’s not continuously criticize, but let’s also keep the IRI accountable for its behavior, policies, and actions. I applaud Mr. Kahatmi for helping to usher in some freedoms. But, now, I heavily criticize Mr. Ahmadinejad for squandering what Mr. Katami had achieved.

It has to spend money on foreign affairs because running a country is not a one dimensional work. It has to support those groups so that other countries would think twice before haphazardly bombing the shit out of your beloved Iran.
Again, remove the reason (or excuse) for a phenomenon and you will – at least – delay its onset. As odious as Israel policy towards Palestinians is, they have NO reason to want to pick a fight with Iran if not for the continuous Death to this and Down with that slogans, now coming out of the mouth of our Mr. President.

Please, my friend. You are insulting everyone’s intelligence by such comments. He was getting on with his job. If you don’t see that they are looking for an excuse to pick a fight at this specific time then I’m afraid I can’t help you. How many times and in what way does he have to say that Iran doesn’t want nuclear weapons or that Iran doesn’t want to fight a war with anyone?

Weren’t Israel and US making threats against Iran long before Ahmadinejad? Weren’t they saying before him that all military options are on table and they would not allow Iran to have access to nuclear tech?
You can keep your head down and look at your feet and a bully that wants to fight will accuse of you insulting him by ignoring him. And you can look the bully in the eye and he will still accuse you of insulting him for looking at him funny. To sympathize with the bully’s excuses is a tad unfair IMO.
My friend, no one is sympathizing with the “bully.” What I suggest is this: when passing by a bully, if he’s stronger than you and beligerent, don’t rush to meet him. Bide your time and stall without rattling his cage, long enough to find a stick to deter an attack! US and Israel have made all sorts of threats, but AN’s comments are INVITING further threats! Most Iranians I know DO NOT support wiping Israel off the map, no matter how odious their policies!

Yes they do care about Iran, its history, heritage and sovereignty. They have shown it in their actions defending it and they say it every day in almost every speech they make (only if you care to listen to them). Thus they are not eligible for the title of traitor. Those who wish to see Iran attacked by outside forces or who have worked for 26 years to undermine and destroy people’s choice because of their own pity political gains or losses are the one’s that deserve the title of traitors.
“Those who wish to see Iran attacked by outside forces or who have worked for 26 years to undermine and destroy people’s choice” are co-culprits with ANY government that brings hardship upon their own people. IRI has defended Iranian sovereignty only because it exists inside it. Otherwise, I see no patriotism in building a dam to drawn the ancient silk road and with it thousands of years of Iranian heritage, or in facilitating the sale of young Iranian women to Arabs, or in failing to aid earth quake victims years later, or in inciting separatist sentiments in Iranian provinces or….in ignoring its own people’s cry for freedom!

Again, good for you. And I agree with you on these points as well.
I’ve always been a big fan of you and your posts. You need not convince me of your piety.
Thank you. I must say, over the years, I have also liked many things you have had to say.

Nevertheless, my piety arises, not out of a sense of religious duty, but out of love for my own self; it makes me feel at peace with the world. Otherwise, it is really meaningless to anyone else.

At the end of the day, I’d like to see, as I’m sure you do also, a free, independent, and POWERFUL Iran, with a government that IS inclusive and tolerant.

Until such time that IRI displays such behavior, however, IMHO it is doomed, damning the rest of the country with it!

Last edited:

AMirza

IPL Player
Mar 19, 2004
Ashtar:

This is a very sophisticated, long, separate and irrelevant topic at this point. It requires and deserves its own separate thread. I don’t want to get side-tracked on this issue but just wanted to have briefly responded to this common claim.
That is the core of the problem right there. It is a clear illustration of a mind who considers himself religious - but has yet to experience spirituality !! Some day (soon I hope) - Ashtar will recognize the need for humans to have changable, adjustable, and expandable SOCIAL LAWS - which must be totaly separated from the unchangable LAWS OF GOD.

Dear Ashtar - the path to god starts from within your own soul. No number of masjid visits, haj pilgrimage, sineh zani, namaz, roozeh, khoms, shame ghariban will get you near god, unless your heart, soul, and concience is clean enough for god to pay you a visit !!

Oct 20, 2003
Pahlevoon Nayeb and Ashtar, I wanted to commend you both, for conducting a dialogue in a civil fashion. This should be an example of conducting a debate in a healthy way IMHO, without resorting to name calling, misrepresenting each other, becoming emotional and throwing empty slogans around. I wish all our debates on ISP were conducted in this manner.

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
Iranpaak said:
Pahlevoon Nayeb and Ashtar, I wanted to commend you both, for conducting a dialogue in a civil fashion. This should be an example of conducting a debate in a healthy way IMHO, without resorting to name calling, misrepresenting each other, becoming emotional and throwing empty slogans around. I wish all our debates on ISP were conducted in this manner.
yeah.. i would also like to say how much i enjoyed reading both sides of the debate!

to ashtar and reza jan.. i'm sorry if i offended you in anyways.. however, like you said even iri wants to reform itself!? and you agree with it?! and so you agree with iri! i still can't understand this.. i would have thought differently, had you been a supporter of khatami and shown disappointment with AN.. as you say, you may not be showing your disappointment due to the huge amount of criticism there already (a bit like me not saying antyhing bad about daei even when i think he's had a bad game.. cuz everyone else is saying it already anyways!), however you have to admit, when you show support for almost every move by iri, it does seem like you support iri no matter what?!

anyways.. even if my post was completely out of line.. i would like to take credit (in a very indirect way!! ) for a very healthy dialogue that's developing! :) lol

R_E_Z_A

IPL Player
Jan 16, 2004
abouzar said:
yeah.. i would also like to say how much i enjoyed reading both sides of the debate!

to ashtar and reza jan.. i'm sorry if i offended you in anyways.. however, like you said even iri wants to reform itself!? and you agree with it?! and so you agree with iri! i still can't understand this.. i would have thought differently, had you been a supporter of khatami and shown disappointment with AN.. as you say, you may not be showing your disappointment due to the huge amount of criticism there already (a bit like me not saying antyhing bad about daei even when i think he's had a bad game.. cuz everyone else is saying it already anyways!), however you have to admit, when you show support for almost every move by iri, it does seem like you support iri no matter what?!

anyways.. even if my post was completely out of line.. i would like to take credit (in a very indirect way!! ) for a very healthy dialogue that's developing! :) lol
abouzar jan,

I was not offended, I will not be offended by someone who is pro-Daei like myself ;). As you said there is so much exaggurated and fales propaganda about the regime (I like your analogy about Daei :D ), why should I join the crowd even if I see some negative points here or there? Ofcourse there are wrongdoing happening in this regime, no one is claiming its a Utopia. But what I would be adding to such an enormous amount of negative news (most of them lies) putting down a regime which can evolve and improve? Actually I belive Ahmadinejad is also a part of evolution of this regime.

I want you also to consider the responsibilty of the public. Running a country is not like football (only depending on players/coach and federation). Perhaps the most important ingredient of running a country is how fair/educated/just/organised are their people. You can have the best rules and the best government, but if the public is going by the rules then that country will not have much progress.

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
Pahlevoon Nayeb said:
So, like me, you’re saying you don’t see any conflict between our being Iranian and Moslem either. Do you think this is also the case for the people running IRI?

So far, absolutely. There may be a few in some lower positions of power that may feel otherwise but I think those who are the real decision-makers as of now are on the same page as you are.
The original intent of school when one starts it at age of 7 is also to teach by going through Baba-Ab-Dad, that doesn’t mean the same lesson needs to be repeated for ever. While an MD needs to be mindful of the alphabet to be able to write, he no longer has to be pre-occupied with making sentences with the alphabet as his main focus in life.

Lack of growth is stagnation and stagnation is death.
I agree. But I don’t see what this has to do with religion having a purely personal goal as opposed to both personal and social.

Agreed! Technically, IRI forces no one to do anything. Problem is, when all other roads lead to hardship of one sort or the other, then IRI IS in fact forcing something onto people!
The correct statement should read: “then IRI IS in fact forcing something onto SOME people!”
But that is the nature of all human societies who live by certain rules. There will always be some people who will feel forced to live by the rules of others. Whether a nudist woman who is forced to wear clothing in the US or a liberal woman who is forced to cover her hair in Iran, both are people who have something forced onto them.

This is the basis for liberal democracies: separation of church and state. It allows for people to be however they wish, believe in what they want, see whom they want to see, read as they please, and generally ENJOY life while, hopefully with a vital government of people, by the people, and for the people at the helm, grow culturally, politically, financially, and SPIRITUALY!
The liberal democracy is all nice and dandy for countries like UK that are as you say: “powerful, wealthy, and secure…” And they will practice it only so long as they don’t feel any inside or outside threat to their basic constitution, government, culture, and way of life. The very second that they feel a threat from any place all these nice and happy slogans go out the window. You don’t have to go far in history to see the example. Just look at US and Patriot Act or Bush eavesdropping on its own citizens or monitoring what books they read. And this is by the world’s only superpower and the champion and model of freedom and democracy when it feels a little threat from a bunch of ragtag towel-heads half way across the world hiding in caves.

And you expect a liberal democracy in an Iran? A country that is filled with dissident groups that constantly want to overthrow any government that doesn’t have them in power, is rampant with separatist groups, has immediate neighbors that are itching to take its territories, has distant neighbors who can’t wait to bomb the shit out of it, and then has the world’s powers who have their eyes set on its natural resources.

The reason that Liberal Democracy doesn’t work in a country like Iran is not because of “Islam” in Islamic Republic. There was no “Islam” in Pahlavi’s Iran but it too had to resort to tough restrictions and limit certain civil rights to be able to keep a government together long enough to do some good for the country.

In fact, given all the threats that Iran faces (which I would argue that no other country in the world faces as many threats as Iran does), I would argue that it is in relative terms and by comparison the most liberal and democratic country in the world. You impose only half the threats that Iran faces on any Western European country and I bet they would force their citizens to get permission to talk much less be as vocal and politically active as they are in Iran.

Bravo! I agree! Let’s NO one advertise for ANY religion other than IRAN!
Let those who constantly criticize IR practice what they preach and stop advertising their own religion. If they can live with not advertising their religion I assure you they won’t have any problem living in Iran.

Ashtar jon, be honest, what has hindered our advancement into an ORGANIZED, LOGICAL, and ADVANCED society? Has it been the Bahais or the Mullahs?
Both have to some extent. But the real culprits have been other issues and factors such illiteracy, foreign intervention, etc.
Throughout our history, the Mullahs have brought on great and repeated harm onto our nation. When Fattalli Shah lost all of Armenia and Georgia in the Golestan treaty to Russia, it were the Mullahs who were responsible for a hurried, unplanned, and unorganized attack to result in further loss of half of Azarbaijan as well. In Dr. Mossadegh’s era, it was Ayatollah Tabatabai who finally facilitated the return of the Shah by stabbing Sr. Mosadegh in the back!
I don’t want to spend too much time defending the Mullahs. Like any other group there are good ones and there are bad ones. But throughout history there have been Mullahs who were the champions of mobilizing people to pick up the Iranian flag in the name of Islam where the “non-religious” people dropped it. From “nehzat e sar beh dArAn” to “delirAn e tangestAn” to “the constitutional revolution” to even Mossadegh’s drive to nationalize oil the Mullahs were behind mobilizing people where others failed. As for Mossadegh, please don’t try to twist the history by shifting the blame away from the foreign-backed coup. The only way Tabatabaei facilitated Mossadegh’s fall was by withdrawing his support for him which goes to show the Mullah’s importance in Mossadegh succeeding in the first place.

It’s easy to paint everyone with the same brush from decades ago but the real art which require the same patience that reform takes is separating the good from the bad.
May ALL traitors to our nation, fokoly or Mullah, go to eternal damnation of hell!
Inshallah.

I wasn’t comparing Iran with any other nation. IMO, when minorities are in fact marginalized and when the law of the land is causing that to institutionalize, then it ought to be changed.
Giving them more rights is like working for “child-labor” laws or “women’s rights”. It requires working within the framework of the law and doesn’t require a whole new revolution and regime change.
Iran over Islam to me is NOT an opinion! If a person would take Islam over Iran it means that, push coming to shove, he would side with ANY Moslem against his own country-man who’d take IRAN over Islam. Is that acceptable to you?
Again, I don’t understand what it means to “side with ANY Moslem against his own country-man.” The Iraqis were Muslims but Khalkhali sided with the Iranian-Armenian soldiers who were fighting for Iran.

Choosing a non-Iranian Muslim over a non-Muslim Iranian or vise versa for me has to do with who is right and who is wrong in the specific issue.

Again, I don’t understand what it means to choose Islam over Iran or choose Iran over Islam.

With all due respect, and I don't mean to include you in this by any means (in fact I'm probably included in this), all these exiled dissidents who keep saying Iran, Iran and claim that they would choose Iran over Islam in a heartbeat, have already chosen a comfortable life, opportunity to go to a Western university, and even the opportunity to show their hair in public over living in Iran. They take sides with foreign politicians against an Iranian president. And they choose non-Iranian music, dress, and culture over Iranian ones any day. So excuse me if I don’t understand what it means when people say choosing Iran over Islam or vise versa.
Khalkhali was the official Chief Revolutionary Prosecutor of IRI whereas Robertson and Graham have never played any official roles in the US.

Two key words in your own response regarding Khalkhali are: “WAS” and “Prosecutor”. One can not judge the government today based on what was said 20 years ago by a prosecutor who wasn’t even a policymaker.

Freedom to choose is a tenet of Islam!
I agree. There is no where in IRI constitution that says otherwise. If this idea is not properly practiced or implemented then all it takes is voting for people who will respect that idea. Don’t tell me it’s not possible because Khatami showed that it is possible to get elected twice and appoint people who at least partly believe in that idea. His reform could have continued if enough people had opted to be patient and vote for someone like Moein instead of listening to the advice of exiled dissidents who can’t even put their own affairs in order. LOL
Here’s a novel idea, how about no one gets excluded at all? How about we allow the other side to speak and let the best side win, waiting our turn for the next go around?
Your novel idea was put into practice 26 years ago when the great majority opted to choose Islamic Republic constitution and government. But the same people whom you’re asking to be allowed to have their voices heard today opted not to listen to the voices of people and have done everything in their power for the past 26 years to silence those voices.
Dr. Shariatri’s response to the question as to how to increase the number of true believers in Islam was to abolish “Talimateh Dini” in Iranian schools! Do know why? Because he knew very well that the Islam being thought to the kids was actually re-enforcing their view of Islam as a religion of sorrow, blood, depression, and defeat wrought with matters concerned mainly from waist down!
Shariati was a brilliant mind and one of a kind. He had great points that are difficult if not impossible to argue against.

The problem has not been that IRI has not had ample time to reform itself, it has. And, the people of Iran have given it a chance and benefited as a result.

But, the truly genuine Iranian reform movement died, not just because of the propaganda campaign by the Shahollahis and neocons, but also because of IRI’s own repressive policies and Khatami’s lack of political courage, or will, to turn the corner on backwardness.
I don’t think Khatami’s reform movement died. It simply lost a round of elections. To say that Khatami’s reform movement died is like saying that Democrats died in US politics because they lost the senate and presidency twice in a row.

You have to realize that in Iranian politics (like most other places in the world) the conservatives make up a significant portion of population and they too want reforms in the system towards their own goals and to that end they will oppose the reform movement towards liberalism.
Where is Khatami today? What happened to the reform movement? Why do news papers continue to be shut down? Why the dark-age repressive policies again?!
Khatami had his two terms under the law is now active in the Expediency Council and other issues and his legacy still lives on.

And what dark-age repressive policies are you talking about? Some newspapers were being shot during Khatami and the same policy continues today. They get shot down for the same reason that US media is NOT ALLOWED to air or publish the “terrorist” statements in their entirety for the fear of spreading propaganda or hidden messages. In case you haven’t noticed there are certain powers that openly have allocated money to facilitate the downfall of the regime in Iran. In case you missed it CIA was exposed for paying Iraqi newspapers to publish false stories against the insurgents and in favor of US forces (mind you this is in a country that they control) what do you think they would do with the press in a country like Iran?
Again, we don’t keep dabbling in Alef Baa when we grow up. People of Iran chose that constitution 26 years ago. What say you we have another referendum? It sure looks like a whole lot of Iranian people want it!
What say you that all Iranians honestly give that constitution a chance and honestly support it instead of trying to undermine it every chance they get and then if it doesn’t work try to change it within the framework of the law. Or I’m willing to accept another constitution and referendum if you stipulate in it a clause that allows for another referendum every time that a bunch of Iranians are not happy with their government.
I applaud Mr. Kahatmi for helping to usher in some freedoms. But, now, I heavily criticize Mr. Ahmadinejad for squandering what Mr. Katami had achieved.
Such as? Can you please give me some examples of these freedoms that Ahmadinejad has squandered.
Again, remove the reason (or excuse) for a phenomenon and you will – at least – delay its onset. As odious as Israel policy towards Palestinians is, they have NO reason to want to pick a fight with Iran if not for the continuous Death to this and Down with that slogans, now coming out of the mouth of our Mr. President.
They have a reason to pick a fight with Iran not because of “death to this and down with that” but rather because they can not afford to allow a strong and independent Iran become their rival in the region. It’s for the same reason that US could not allow a popular and successful communist Cuba flourish right at its doorstep.

Delay is not a solution to problem. Like I said before they are picking a fight at this time not because of anything new that Ahamdinejad may have said (he merely quoted what Khomeini said 25 years ago). But they are picking a fight today and setting him as excuse because they’ve been delaying their plans for some time now.
My friend, no one is sympathizing with the “bully.” What I suggest is this: when passing by a bully, if he’s stronger than you and beligerent, don’t rush to meet him. Bide your time and stall without rattling his cage, long enough to find a stick to deter an attack!
Then I’m afraid you don’t understand the nature of the bully. Do you honestly think that these powers would rush in to a war because of a statement by someone like Ahmadinejad? They have grand plans and go by preset timetables. When they are ready to attack they will and they will use whatever excuse they can find and if they can’t find anything they will suffice to point out national security as the cause.
IRI has defended Iranian sovereignty only because it exists inside it.
Please. The same weak argument can be used to belittle the work of any other patriot who ever worked to defend Iran or its interests.
Otherwise, I see no patriotism in building a dam to drawn the ancient silk road and with it thousands of years of Iranian heritage, or in facilitating the sale of young Iranian women to Arabs, or in failing to aid earth quake victims years later, or in inciting separatist sentiments in Iranian provinces or….in ignoring its own people’s cry for freedom!
None of what you mentioned are the fault of either the constitution or the official policy of the government. Building one dam (out of hundreds that have been built) in a place that would jeopardize a historical heritage is just a result of poor planning by a few designers and officials in charge and one can hardly implicate an entire government and system for it. Same thing happens all around the world, knowingly drilling in the US wildlife to constructing roads through historic sites in China these are all byproducts of poor planning or necessities of economics and expansion.

And the selling of women (of whatever nationality to anyone) is a byproduct of poverty, ignorance, and poor culture. I think it’s a tad unfair to accuse the government of facilitating these actions when it is doing all it can to improve the economy in the face of international pressure and sanctions.

And failing to aid earth quake victims? You have to be realistic my friend. I don’t want to give US (and New Orleans) as an example to say that because it happens in US then it’s OK to happen elsewhere. But I want to point out the reality of the problem of giving relief to victims of natural disasters with huge magnitudes. One can not simply go around and accuse every government in the world of not caring about its citizens. If there are delays in relief or reconstructions it has to do with financial as well as logistic and other constraints.

Like I said time and again, I agree and even the officials in Iran agree that there are many problems. But these problems are hardly a justification to change the entire system and rebuild everything from scratch.

At the end of the day, I’d like to see, as I’m sure you do also, a free, independent, and POWERFUL Iran, with a government that IS inclusive and tolerant.
I do too.

Until such time that IRI displays such behavior, however, IMHO it is doomed, damning the rest of the country with it!
Until such time that it becomes part of our culture to respect and work within the framework of the law instead of trying to take the easy way out by changing everything as soon as something doesn’t suit our fancy IMHO the people will continue to be doomed and damning whatever government is in power with them.

Last edited:

Pahlevoon Nayeb

National Team Player
Oct 17, 2002
Poshteh Kooh
Agha Ashtar,

If you don’t mind I’ll change my style of response a bit. Instead of using quotes, I’ll put what you said in a different color for the sake of fluidity.

If you truly believe that the IRI officials see no conflict between being a Moslem and an Iranian; that is encouraging. For me though, the jury is still out on this one.

I agree. But I don’t see what this has to do with religion having a purely personal goal as opposed to both personal and social.

Ashtar jon, the point is you can not institutionalize a religion! A people may choose NOT to be religious! Why does that have to be the tenets of a government? What other than 24 hour “Amreh Beh Maaroof and Nahyeh Az Monkar” CAN a religious government do? This would be like having a government in Iran that passed laws designed to promote our pure Persian-ness while discouraging our religious side! There’s an immense gift in Islam and we’re still stuck in teaching and learning its alefba!!

The correct statement should read: “then IRI IS in fact forcing something onto SOME people!”
But that is the nature of all human societies who live by certain rules. There will always be some people who will feel forced to live by the rules of others. Whether a nudist woman who is forced to wear clothing in the US or a liberal woman who is forced to cover her hair in Iran, both are people who have something forced onto them.

Fine, if it’s rule of law you want, I’m with you. But, then let’s make sure EVERYONE follows the rules! Let’s keep the government accountable for what it does as well. Let’s get rid of the Evin prison and stop the beatings and killings of young kids like Baatebi. Let’s also stop IRI’s intimidation and imprisonment of writers like Ganji! While we’re at it, why not also bring to justice those responsible for Dr. Forouhar’s murder and try those who killed Zahra Kazemi!

The liberal democracy is all nice and dandy for countries like UK that are as you say: “powerful, wealthy, and secure…” And they will practice it only so long as they don’t feel any inside or outside threat to their basic constitution, government, culture, and way of life. The very second that they feel a threat from any place all these nice and happy slogans go out the window. You don’t have to go far in history to see the example. Just look at US and Patriot Act or Bush eavesdropping on its own citizens or monitoring what books they read. And this is by the world’s only superpower and the champion and model of freedom and democracy when it feels a little threat from a bunch of ragtag towel-heads half way across the world hiding in caves.

I share your view of how the West would react if faced with what Iran is facing. But, that doesn’t excuse Bush and Blair’s behavior. And, neither should we aspire to be like them. We may not be able to be a Swedish liberal democracy, but we CAN be a uniquely Iranian one, only if our government could respect the rule of law you mentioned before.

And you expect a liberal democracy in an Iran? A country that is filled with dissident groups that constantly want to overthrow any government that doesn’t have them in power, is rampant with separatist groups, has immediate neighbors that are itching to take its territories, has distant neighbors who can’t wait to bomb the shit out of it, and then has the world’s powers who have their eyes set on its natural resources.

A liberal democracy does not have to be wimpy democracy. A government replete with people’s love and respect has a much better chance of keeping the separatist movements at bay and aggressors out. A people’s love is stronger than fear, and respect much more lasting that force.

The reason that Liberal Democracy doesn’t work in a country like Iran is not because of “Islam” in Islamic Republic. There was no “Islam” in Pahlavi’s Iran but it too had to resort to tough restrictions and limit certain civil rights to be able to keep a government together long enough to do some good for the country.

Agreed! Shah’s monarchy was no Sweden either. Repression does not discriminate across ideologies. It has always been cynical thirst for power that permeates such behavior. But, that does not mean we should not aim for it!

In fact, given all the threats that Iran faces (which I would argue that no other country in the world faces as many threats as Iran does), I would argue that it is in relative terms and by comparison the most liberal and democratic country in the world. You impose only half the threats that Iran faces on any Western European country and I bet they would force their citizens to get permission to talk much less be as vocal and politically active as they are in Iran.

I’m not so sure about that. Freedom can be viewed in relative terms, but that still does not excuse IRI’s behavior in killing journalists and beating students. We’re not, or should not be, aiming for the lowest common denominator.

Let those who constantly criticize IR practice what they preach and stop advertising their own religion. If they can live with not advertising their religion I assure you they won’t have any problem living in Iran.

My religion is Islam and I’d like to criticize IRI. Should I have been arrested and jailed if I lived in Iran?

Both have to some extent. But the real culprits have been other issues and factors such illiteracy, foreign intervention, etc.

Illiteracy and foreign intervention have played their parts, but if we’re going to criticize the people of Iran for their lack of appreciation for whomever in power, then let’s also lay some blame on the people running the country. You can’t say people are this way and that, all the while forgetting about the government’s role in this backwardness.

I don’t want to spend too much time defending the Mullahs. Like any other group there are good ones and there are bad ones. But throughout history there have been Mullahs who were the champions of mobilizing people to pick up the Iranian flag in the name of Islam where the “non-religious” people dropped it. From “nehzat e sar beh dArAn” to “delirAn e tangestAn” to “the constitutional revolution” to even Mossadegh’s drive to nationalize oil the Mullahs were behind mobilizing people where others failed. As for Mossadegh, please don’t try to twist the history by shifting the blame away from the foreign-backed coup. The only way Tabatabaei facilitated Mossadegh’s fall was by withdrawing his support for him which goes to show the Mullah’s importance in Mossadegh succeeding in the first place.

It’s easy to paint everyone with the same brush from decades ago but the real art which require the same patience that reform takes is separating the good from the bad.

Agreed. But, it seems to me, all the good ones either get killed or marginalized. We saw Ayatollah Taleghani die – and many say killed – we saw Ayatollah Shariatmadari told to remain quite, and witnessed Ayatollah Montazeri completely marginalized.

And, now, we see Ahmadinejad and gang have banned Karrbi’s Saba TV based out of UAE. Mr. Karrubi has this to say in this regard: “Shall, anyone who wants to create a radio or tv station anywhere in the world, be in conformity with the Constitution of the Islamic Republic?”

Giving them more rights is like working for “child-labor” laws or “women’s rights”. It requires working within the framework of the law and doesn’t require a whole new revolution and regime change.

No one is advocating another revolution, just accountability from our own government. The fights to enact child labor laws or granting women to vote took place when children working for 12 hours a day and women not voting was the culture of the time. Are you saying it is in IRI’s culture to marginalize minorities? Other than being a repressive policy, don’t you think that is a dangerous attitude to have when, as you said yourself, Iran is rife with separatist movements?

Again, I don’t understand what it means to “side with ANY Moslem against his own country-man.” The Iraqis were Muslims but Khalkhali sided with the Iranian-Armenian soldiers who were fighting for Iran.

Choosing a non-Iranian Muslim over a non-Muslim Iranian or vise versa for me has to do with who is right and who is wrong in the specific issue.

Again, I don’t understand what it means to choose Islam over Iran or choose Iran over Islam.

In a fight for survival, it is debatable whether Khalkhali backed the Iranian-Arminian soldier out of patriotism or out of a need for someone to defend the system of rule he was a part of.

There’s a reason that in most nations you have to have been born in that country to be the president of the country. The implicit, and explicit, principle is this: an Iranian native can always be presumably entrusted to defend Iran’s inetersts more so than a foreigner. THIS is why loyalty to an Iranian MUST ALWAYS come before loyalty to a non-Iranian, regardless of the religion.

With all due respect, and I don't mean to include you in this by any means (in fact I'm probably included in this), all these exiled dissidents who keep saying Iran, Iran and claim that they would choose Iran over Islam in a heartbeat, have already chosen a comfortable life, opportunity to go to a Western university, and even the opportunity to show their hair in public over living in Iran. They take sides with foreign politicians against an Iranian president. And they choose non-Iranian music, dress, and culture over Iranian ones any day. So excuse me if I don’t understand what it means when people say choosing Iran over Islam or vise versa.

No Offence taken my man. But, I wonder, would those living comfortably in America not put their talents to good use inside Iran if they were given the opportunity? I think the tide was indeed turning with Kahatmi’s reforms.Bu Majlesseh Khobregan and the IRI establishment time and again rebuffed attempts by the people to embrace their government in return for some basic freedoms and the rule of law.

I agree. There is no where in IRI constitution that says otherwise. If this idea is not properly practiced or implemented then all it takes is voting for people who will respect that idea. Don’t tell me it’s not possible because Khatami showed that it is possible to get elected twice and appoint people who at least partly believe in that idea. His reform could have continued if enough people had opted to be patient and vote for someone like Morin instead of listening to the advice of exiled dissidents who can’t even put their own affairs in order. LOL

You get no arguments from me there. Anyone who did not vote only has himself to blame for Mr. Ahmadinejad’s policy of shooting form the hip.

But, let’s be honest my man, how many times did Khatami fail the people when he should have made a stand against the establishment?

Your novel idea was put into practice 26 years ago when the great majority opted to choose Islamic Republic constitution and government. But the same people whom you’re asking to be allowed to have their voices heard today opted not to listen to the voices of people and have done everything in their power for the past 26 years to silence those voices.

Ashtar jon, are you genuinely telling me that you don’t see the strife among normal, everyday Iranians for a change? Has it been the puny LA opposition that has caused this strife or the people inside Iran?

I don’t think Khatami’s reform movement died. It simply lost a round of elections. To say that Khatami’s reform movement died is like saying that Democrats died in US politics because they lost the senate and presidency twice in a row.

For the sake of staving off another bloody revolution I hope you’re right!

And what dark-age repressive policies are you talking about? Some newspapers were being shot during Khatami and the same policy continues today. They get shot down for the same reason that US media is NOT ALLOWED to air or publish the “terrorist” statements in their entirety for the fear of spreading propaganda or hidden messages. In case you haven’t noticed there are certain powers that openly have allocated money to facilitate the downfall of the regime in Iran. In case you missed it CIA was exposed for paying Iraqi newspapers to publish false stories against the insurgents and in favor of US forces (mind you this is in a country that they control) what do you think they would do with the press in a country like Iran?

I’m talking about the plight of Ganji, batebi, Kazemi, and Forouhar. All these people had legitimate complaints and all were brutally silenced.

Again, using GW’s America as the standard would be setting a very low bar for ourselves. A free, involved society is much more likely to defend a regime than one intimidated into obeying. Right now in Iran there is no shortage of people who foolishly wish for America to attack to get rid of the Mullahs. This is the portion of the population that will not come to IRI’s defense, should the Mullahs be threatened with losing power.

What say you that all Iranians honestly give that constitution a chance and honestly support it instead of trying to undermine it every chance they get and then if it doesn’t work try to change it within the framework of the law. Or I’m willing to accept another constitution and referendum if you stipulate in it a clause that allows for another referendum every time that a bunch of Iranians are not happy with their government.

The bunch of Iranians to whom you are referring happen to be large enough to have voted Khatami into power twice! I’m not talking about LA TVs here!

Such as? Can you please give me some examples of these freedoms that Ahmadinejad has squandered

For example, Kahatami went to great lengths to improve Iran’s status and prestige in the world. He made new allinces Iran had never had before and moderated IRIs belligerent tone and posture in the world community. We can now see Ahmadinejad squandering what Kahatami had built. I won’t even mention AN’s systematic reversal of the reform movement.

They have a reason to pick a fight with Iran not because of “death to this and down with that” but rather because they can not afford to allow a strong and independent Iran become their rival in the region. It’s for the same reason that US could not allow a popular and successful communist Cuba flourish right at its doorstep.

Delay is not a solution to problem. Like I said before they are picking a fight at this time not because of anything new that Ahamdinejad may have said (he merely quoted what Khomeini said 25 years ago). But they are picking a fight today and setting him as excuse because they’ve been delaying their plans for some time now.

And I propose to you that delaying IS a solution; delaying along with intelligent statesmanship and wise actions and words. Howe come Khatami’s Iran was not bullied around? Yes, W had a big hand in it, but Ahmadinijad is adding fuel to the fire!

Then I’m afraid you don’t understand the nature of the bully. Do you honestly think that these powers would rush in to a war because of a statement by someone like Ahmadinejad? They have grand plans and go by preset timetables. When they are ready to attack they will and they will use whatever excuse they can find and if they can’t find anything they will suffice to point out national security as the cause.

Believe me ashtar jon, if anyone knows the nature of the bully, it is me! Powers that be do have a grand plan. It’s called hegemony over Iran. However, within these bullies’ governments there are pro-war factions that either get the upper hand when Ahmadinejad makes such comments, paving the way for public sentiment for war, or pushed aside when Iran’s president speaks wisely, all the while using his smarts to attain what he wants: nuclear technology.

None of what you mentioned are the fault of either the constitution or the official policy of the government. Building one dam (out of hundreds that have been built) in a place that would jeopardize a historical heritage is just a result of poor planning by a few designers and officials in charge and one can hardly implicate an entire government and system for it. Same thing happens all around the world, knowingly drilling in the US wildlife to constructing roads through historic sites in China these are all byproducts of poor planning or necessities of economics and expansion.

And the selling of women (of whatever nationality to anyone) is a byproduct of poverty, ignorance, and poor culture. I think it’s a tad unfair to accuse the government of facilitating these actions when it is doing all it can to improve the economy in the face of international pressure and sanctions.

And failing to aid earth quake victims? You have to be realistic my friend. I don’t want to give US (and New Orleans) as an example to say that because it happens in US then it’s OK to happen elsewhere. But I want to point out the reality of the problem of giving relief to victims of natural disasters with huge magnitudes. One can not simply go around and accuse every government in the world of not caring about its citizens. If there are delays in relief or reconstructions it has to do with financial as well as logistic and other constraints.

Like I said time and again, I agree and even the officials in Iran agree that there are many problems. But these problems are hardly a justification to change the entire system and rebuild everything from scratch.

What about the advent of widespread heroin addiction, or the explosion in prostitution, or the double digit unemployment, hyper inflation, the chain murders, the corruption of the Agha Zadeha, the siphoning of Iran’s national wealth through the many foundations accountable to no one? Do these qualify as non reform-able? Supporting the reform movement doesn’t mean forever unconditional devotion. A huge – and some say the majority -- of Iranians want to see serious addressing of these concerns! I don’t want another revolution either, but that’s where Iran is headed if IRI does not actually reform.

Until such time that it becomes part of our culture to respect and work within the framework of the law instead of trying to take the easy way out by changing everything as soon as something doesn’t suit our fancy IMHO the people will continue to be doomed and damning whatever government is in power with them.

Amen! Let’s also make sure IRI is held accountable to the same stanfards

Last edited: