Who will go to next round?

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I think Bosnia has the best chance of finishing 2nd. They have a good generation of players and are individually the strongest of the 3. They also qualified rather easily, though it was from the easiest group in the UEFA quals. I rate Nigeria lower than them. Iran has the least quality of the 3, but we're not chanceless. All 3 teams have much stronger attacks than defences, which could make for some nice, unpredictable matches full of goals.
I'm not quite so sure about that they are talented but they are way too inconsistent and they have no experience playing in this kind of environment. There are several Iranian players who have world cup experience. Second point, Bosnia was in a very easy group they didn't need much to qualify out of that group but Iran had some Realistically there is a chance USA won't qualify out of their group to the second round and Egypt did not qualify they got smoked by Ghana. It's anyone's ball game.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
I think Bosnia has the best chance of finishing 2nd. They have a good generation of players and are individually the strongest of the 3. They also qualified rather easily, though it was from the easiest group in the UEFA quals. I rate Nigeria lower than them. Iran has the least quality of the 3, but we're not chanceless. All 3 teams have much stronger attacks than defences, which could make for some nice, unpredictable matches full of goals.
I actually think Bosnia's got the lowest chance of qualifying out of the group. Aside from being way to cocky about their chances (which is the kiss of death even for the best teams), they have by far the worst defense in the group and they're grouped with 3 teams whose offense is their strongest line!!! Not to mention that they don't even have a defensive formation - they just attack and if they manage to score more goals than the other team, they win! They are also unlucky enough to play teams in order of perceived strength (Argentina then Nigeria then Iran) which is always the worst possible order unless you manage to pull an upset in the 1st game.

Aug 13, 2003
Most people predict Iran will be the last in Gruppe F? What do you think? Is it between Bosnia and Nigeria?
I am in a great mood so here we go:

Argentina
Bosnia
Nigeria
Iran

Iran 0-Argentina 4 (Argentina will possess 90% of the ball. Iran might not touch the ball during the first half)
Iran 0-Nigeria 3
Iran 0-Bosnia 0 (I am in a real good mood for predicting this score)

CQ contract will be not be renewed after the World Cup. Kafashian to resign.
History is my judge.

Aug 13, 2003
Let's look at reality. Iran has had NO preparation for WC. No good matches so far and we are a few months from the event. Other than a few good players in Europe, the team is a combination of a local talents (and lets face it) IPL is an amateur league at best. While we are passionate fans and love our TM, the ones that have a few years on their bones (like yours truly) tend to look at the world through different color lenses. In the current division I think we are lucky if we have a single win. Most likely scenario is two loses to Argentina or Nigeria with a chance to tie Bosnia. I would not be surprise if we have a two ties and a loss but I think that is a hard task. The best that we could hope for is 3 ties. I just don't see us being able to muster an outright win.
Our biggest match believe it or not is the one with Argentina. If we are able to somehow shock the world and tie (or dare I dream and Win) we will change our faith tremendously. If we lose badly to Argentina we will not recover and would most likely end up last in our group. Again as the world turns today our current preparation is so crappy that anything other than three straight loses is pipe dream :(
I won't be watching any Iran matches live. too painful to watch but I will get the score right after. I will tape it and watch later.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I think there is a very simple way of looking at it.

1. If we beat Nigeria, it will be between us and Bosnia in the last game.

2. If we loose against Nigeria, we can consider ourselves out of contention of qualifying top 2. It will be between Nigeria and Bosnia.

3. If we draw Nigeria, once again it will come down to the game against Bosnia where we will need to win to maybe sneak through.

So, like Queiroz said, Nigeria might be our opening game, but it is our final.

Personally, if the team is well prepared after our camps and our key players remain injury free and on form, and we somehow manage to pull of a victory against Nigeria i see us getting the 2nd spot. Anything but a win against Nigeria and 2nd spot is extremely unlikely.

My heart says Iran/Argentina
My brain says Bosnia/Argentina
Yes
Yes and
Yes

Only one difference my heart says Argentina and Iran but my brain says Argentina and NIGERIA they have world cup experience Bosnia doesn't I don't they will go through and people are hyping them up because they are a Euro team but they have an inflated ranking. I think Iran has the advantage against Nigeria only because they game will be played at a high altitude and Nigeria notoriously struggles against high altitude teams. Bosnia is nothing special gave up a two goal lead against USA in their own home and got torched 2-0 by Egypt plus they played in a yo yo group.

Aug 13, 2003
When did Iran lost a game with more than 3 goals difference in the last 20 years?
TM will do what ever we they can to win Nigeria. They they will not lose 3:0. That is for sure.
When was the last time Iran played Argentina? Historicaly, We lost 4-1 to Peru. 3-0 to Holland. 3-1 to Mexico. This Argentina is going for a turkey shoot. Just don't watch it. It will make you depressed. As for Nigeria, please dont watch that match either.

May 12, 2007
When was the last time Iran played Argentina? Historicaly, We lost 4-1 to Peru. 3-0 to Holland. 3-1 to Mexico. This Argentina is going for a turkey shoot. Just don't watch it. It will make you depressed. As for Nigeria, please dont watch that match either.
That is more than 20 years ago.
I undertand you are Paranoid:)
Still the difference is less than 4. No Argentine only need 3 points. They won't go for more. Their players may get hurt before the next round. If Iran wins against nigeria Iran can also get point from argentine by playing extremely defensive. Since then a win is not so needed

Aug 13, 2003
That is more than 20 years ago.
I undertand you are Paranoid:)
Still the difference is less than 4. No Argentine only need 3 points. They won't go for more. Their players may get hurt before the next round. If Iran wins against nigeria Iran can also get point from argentine by playing extremely defensive. Since then a win is not so needed
i don't understand your rationale? You are taking credit from an Argentinian team that is the best in world and giving it instead to Iran that is not prepared, lack quality players and out of shape. Remember, Argentina will possess 80% of the time the ball. Meaning Iran will get frustrated and run around. As you said, 3 points to Argentina. Argentina wants Argentina gets.

May 12, 2007
i don't understand your rationale? You are taking credit from an Argentinian team that is the best in world and giving it instead to Iran that is not prepared, lack quality players and out of shape. Remember, Argentina will possess 80% of the time the ball. Meaning Iran will get frustrated and run around. As you said, 3 points to Argentina. Argentina wants Argentina gets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOEaXgCQ61A
Watch Maradonas face after the first goal. Watch Aragentina's goal keeper too. Aregentine is not just Messi. Some of their players are not in the same class.
World cup 2010
South Korea 1 Argentine 4
South Korea 2 Nigeria 2
South Korea 2 Greece 0
Argentine and South korea advance to II round
Why can't Iran do the same thing?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOEaXgCQ61A
Watch Maradonas face after the first goal. Watch Aragentina's goal keeper too. Aregentine is not just Messi. Some of their players are not in the same class.
World cup 2010
South Korea 1 Argentine 4
South Korea 2 Nigeria 2
South Korea 2 Greece 0
Argentine and South korea advance to II round
Why can't Iran do the same thing?
Because it is like comparing apples with oranges. Iran plays emotional football and they lack 11 pro players and deep bench. Sometimes we should not over analyse the outcome but go with straight logic.

May 12, 2007
Because it is like comparing apples with oranges. Iran plays emotional football and they lack 11 pro players and deep bench. Sometimes we should not over analyse the outcome but go with straight logic.
Iran has a deep bench. DG, Khalatbari, Shojaei, Jahanbakh can play in 3 different position which gives 3!=3*2*1 =6 different combinations. Actually against Lebenon the 3 peiodically changed position which makes it dificult to be marked. Iran's defense conceived only two goals in WCQ much better than south Korea.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
Iran has a deep bench. DG, Khalatbari, Shojaei, Jahanbakh can play in 3 different position which gives 3!=3*2*1 =6 different combinations. Actually against Lebenon the 3 peiodically changed position which makes it dificult to be marked. Iran's defense conceived only two goals in WCQ much better than south Korea.
No, Shojaei can only play two positions. One is CAM, the other is on the bench. He is absolutely useless on the RW or on the LW, i am telling you, if Queiroz sticks with Shojaei as our winger in Brazil we will suffer. Not only attacking wise, but also defensively.

I guarantee you, it will cost us. 100%.

Khalatbari, Jahanbakhs & Dejagah are all much, much better wingers then Shojaei. Not only are they much quicker but their defensive contributions are also better. I will be honest with you, i even prefer Khalatbari as our CAM. Shojaei belongs on the bench, and i think his trickery and tendency to slow down the game and hold up the ball is going to benefit us much more coming off the bench in the case we are leading 1-0 against Nigeria etc and we need to slow the tempo of the game down.

Shojaei should start against Argentina, because against them we want to kill the tempo, and slow the game down (win as many free kicks as possible and maybe score a goal off a set piece). But against Nigeria and Bosnia he should DEFINITELY start on the bench until we are hopefully either leading or wanting to maintain a result.

Last edited:

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
as long as we consed less than three goals I will be a happy camper.

I think Argentina and Bosnia will make it through.

May 12, 2007
No, Shojaei can only play two positions. One is CAM, the other is on the bench. He is absolutely useless on the RW or on the LW, i am telling you, if Queiroz sticks with Shojaei as our winger in Brazil we will suffer. Not only attacking wise, but also defensively.

I guarantee you, it will cost us. 100%.

Khalatbari, Jahanbakhs & Dejagah are all much, much better wingers then Shojaei. Not only are they much quicker but their defensive contributions are also better. I will be honest with you, i even prefer Khalatbari as our CAM. Shojaei belongs on the bench, and i think his trickery and tendency to slow down the game and hold up the ball is going to benefit us much more coming off the bench in the case we are leading 1-0 against Nigeria etc and we need to slow the tempo of the game down.

Shojaei should start against Argentina, because against them we want to kill the tempo, and slow the game down (win as many free kicks as possible and maybe score a goal off a set piece). But against Nigeria and Bosnia he should DEFINITELY start on the bench until we are hopefully either leading or wanting to maintain a result.
It seems that in this game he is the best player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODDU5S1asU8
I think this is the lineup CQ has in mind for World cup and If Shojaei have a bad day Khalatbari will be sent in.
I actually think since Khalatbari is technical Iran shold start him against Argentine. But I think our bench is rich.

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
But I think our bench is rich.
Buddy, we are so unbelievably badbakht when it comes to our depth its not even funny. What are you even talking about? Yek tori migi rich bench as if we are Brazil or Germany..

God forbid key players like Ando and Jalal Hosseini get injured (knock on wood), we are officially screwed. We cannot replace them (every time we have missed Ando for example we have been a much, much weaker team). I know we won our last 3 WCQ games without Dejagah, but we don't have a "rich" bench, to be able to comfortably replace Dejagah and specially Gucci without suffering in general team performance.

The only position that we are somehow OK in terms of depth, is RB. The rest, the quality between our starter and replacement is very vast.

Just pray that we have all our key players available and fit in time for our game against Nigeria.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Unfortunately CQ uses Khalatbari for that purpose instead of Shojaei and to me, that is bringing down half of Khalatbari's and also TM's abilities!

May 12, 2007
Buddy, we are so unbelievably badbakht when it comes to our depth its not even funny. What are you even talking about? Yek tori migi rich bench as if we are Brazil or Germany..

God forbid key players like Ando and Jalal Hosseini get injured (knock on wood), we are officially screwed. We cannot replace them (every time we have missed Ando for example we have been a much, much weaker team). I know we won our last 3 WCQ games without Dejagah, but we don't have a "rich" bench, to be able to comfortably replace Dejagah and specially Gucci without suffering in general team performance.

The only position that we are somehow OK in terms of depth, is RB. The rest, the quality between our starter and replacement is very vast.

Just pray that we have all our key players available and fit in time for our game against Nigeria.
I don't think you understood my point at all. At one day Iran can play
Jahanbakhsh---------- Gucci-------------- Dejagar
---------------------- Shojaei---------------
another day
Dejagar ---------------Gucci------------------------- Jahanbakhsh
------------------------Shojaei-----------------------------------
If one player is injured Khalat bari can be used. Ansarifar for Gucci and Khalatbari for the rest. This gives so many combinations. And the bench is therefor quiet rich for 3 games. At one half DJ can play left another half right. With good knowlege of Nigerian player CQ may decide where to use him best. Hadadifar is a good sub for Ando.
Yes I also wish we had players like Brezil but for our mission to go to next round our bench is OK. If Messi was not fit how good was argentine? What if Edin Djekov get 2 yellow card before their third game against us? We won't be so badbakht if Jahanbakhsh or dejagar
had two yellows.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
I don't think you understood my point at all. At one day Iran can play
Jahanbakhsh---------- Gucci-------------- Dejagar
---------------------- Shojaei---------------
another day
Dejagar ---------------Gucci------------------------- Jahanbakhsh
------------------------Shojaei-----------------------------------
If one player is injured Khalat bari can be used. Ansarifar for Gucci and Khalatbari for the rest. This gives so many combinations. And the bench is therefor quiet rich for 3 games. At one half DJ can play left another half right. With good knowlege of Nigerian player CQ may decide where to use him best. Hadadifar is a good sub for Ando.
Yes I also wish we had players like Brezil but for our mission to go to next round our bench is OK. If Messi was not fit how good was argentine? What if Edin Djekov get 2 yellow card before their third game against us? We won't be so badbakht if Jahanbakhsh or dejagar
had two yellows.
LOL Shojaei as a striker, you don't even seem to know where our players can and can't play. I remember in another thread you were also saying Ghazi would be a good CAM option for TM. I thought you were being sarcastic, but now i know you were being serious.

I don't even think you are understanding the point you are trying to put across..

The only difference between your lineups is Jahanbanks and Dejagah playing different wings (and you also used the same exact players?) someone call Argentina and Bosnia coach and tell them quickly, Jahanbakhs and Ashkan can switch wings, just hand us the 3points. Where is the richness in that? We lost the midfield battle against Guinea because we missed Ando, Hadadifar even though he had a good game he is nowhere near the ability to replace Ando and that was clear against an AVERAGE Guinea (now what do u think Nigeria will do to us?). Hadadifar is a good replacement for Nekounam maybe, but for Ando, no. We were a completely different team in midfield without 1 single player, now imagine if we missed Hosseini in that game also. We would have been massacred. We are incapable of replacing our key players, simple as that.

Dude, you need to understand something. If Argentina or Bosnia were to miss a couple of key players they replace them in their endless pool of players that play week in week out in top European leagues. Against a team like Iran its not going to matter if Argentina doesnt have Messi or Bosnia doesn't have Dzeko. It really won't. Dzeko doesnt play, then Ibisevic will. Maybe against a different team missing Dzeko will make a difference, but against a utterly weak Iran side. No. Hell Argentina can play with their bench and still beat us 4-0.

But for a team like Iran, only way we are going to have an effect in Brazil is whether you like it or not to have every single key player we have fit and ready (we can barely rely on our starting 11 getting to the second round, hala your putting faith in our bench). We are well and truly badbakht when you consider Ansarifard a good replacement for Gucci. Specially for a team that is going to go to Brazil with the intentions of defending with their lives (yes, we will be defending with our lives), our defensive depth is even worse then our attacking depth. So, even in that area we are even more badbakht.

Like 2006, if, our key players are not fit and ready, this will be an even uglier campaign then i am already expecting it to be based on the kind of preparation we are having. And in 2006 we had even better legionnaires playing in better leagues/teams and getting more playing time then the players we have now all playing for relegation/2nd division sides.

Wake up and smell the flowers, even Nigeria's bench has twice the depth and options then us. It will take a miracle for us to reach the 2nd round, let alone our "amazing" bench filled with unfit sosools from the IPL.

Last edited: