Who will go to next round?

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
I don't reply to you until you read my post carefully and try to understand the point I try to make.
Baba, i don't care what you do. I just don't think you are getting what your saying yourself. Your saying our bench is good and rich because Khalatbari is capable of playing CAM,RW & LW. Yet you put up two different lineups with the same exact players and only the LW and RW switched. IF our bench was good, we would be capable of handling the loss of 1 or 2 players, which is a very realistic scenario. IF we had a deep bench we would have a proper CAM. We don't even have a one single capable CAM hala to chi dari migi?

If we had a deep bench we would have the players capable of switching from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-4-2 if needed, but we don't even have a proper back up striker to Gucci.

You claim we will not suffer if players like Dejagah or Jahanbakhs get 2 yellows. Lets say both of them are out, who will you play then? Sadeghian? Hajsafi?

Your point that we have players capable of switching positions does by no means mean that we have a deep bench (in fact players like Dejagah and Jahanbakhs are meant to do this throughout a game anyway). Because we don't have a deep bench. We have a couple of players capable of covering several positions sure, but we do not have a deep bench to cover the loss of key players nor do we have the players capable of switching formations comfortably throughout a game.

Hadadifar is a good sub for Ando
Yeah, ok. No worries.

Last edited:
May 12, 2007
Your point that we have players capable of switching positions does by no means mean that we have a deep bench .
Yes it does. Let's assume this the list
---------------------------------------------Gucci/Ansarifard--------------------------------------
------------- Jahanbakh/Khalatbari -------------------------------Ashkan/B.Rahmani
-----------------------------------------------Shojaei/let's say Azmoun
If Ashkan can't play CQ has two options 1- B.Rahmani 2- Khalatbari. The bench is therefor rich mening that CQ has more options. Like wise if Shojaei is injured Khalatbari or Azmoun can be used.
If NN or Ando gets injured our sub is not as good as NN. That is true but the same thing can happen if Messi is injured.

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Some new developments looks like some of the Euro based Nigeria players are going to sit this one out it seems like the coach may get fired and that certainly increases our chances, not only being in a high altitude but just they won't have their best players. To be honest though most of their euro players are bench warmers.

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
---------------------------------------------Gucci/Ansarifard--------------------------------------
------------- Jahanbakh/Khalatbari -------------------------------Ashkan/B.Rahmani
-----------------------------------------------Shojaei/let's say Azmoun
If Ashkan can't play CQ has two options 1- B.Rahmani 2- Khalatbari. The bench is therefor rich mening that CQ has more options. Like wise if Shojaei is injured Khalatbari or Azmoun can be used.
If NN or Ando gets injured our sub is not as good as NN. That is true but the same thing can happen if Messi is injured.
Rahmani as a RW? Seriously just stop it. You just don't know where our players play (Rahmani has never been a RW for Foolad, let alone play it for TM), no wonder you think we have depth. You think every player can play 3 different positions.

Azmoun has not even been capped for TM and your using him as an option (even though i personally see him as a starting player), but Queiroz might have different ideas. I don't know if you have been reading the latest reports coming out of the camp in South Africa, but there were reports that Queiroz is playing Hajsafi as a defensive midfielder in the games. Or even Alenemeh as a LB.

Ashkan, Jahanbakhs & Khalatbari are the only 3 players we have that are capable of playing on either wing. After that, you are going to have to rely on Yaghoub Karimi, and he doesnt even seem likely to be invited again after the whole Sepahan drama. So i will say it again, if 2 of those 3 are somehow unavailable, (knock on wood) it doesn't happen. Then we are screwed, we are probably going to be forced to use players out of position to cover their absence.

But whatever, i am done arguing this with you. You can sit there thinking we have a deep bench, i will cross my fingers and just pray that every single one of our starting 11 players stay fit.

Last edited:
May 12, 2007
I said let's assume this is our list. I didn't assume any thing about Rahmani's abilities. You don't know what CQ does no one knows. Put an X instead of Rahmani once again
------------- Jahanbakh/Khalatbari -------------------------------Ashkan/X
-----------------------------------------------Shojaei/Y
If Ashkan can't play CQ has two options 1- player called X 2- Khalatbari. The bench is therefor rich mening that CQ has more options. Like wise if Shojaei is injured Khalatbari or Player called Y can be used.
But whatever, i am done arguing this with you. You can sit there thinking we have a deep bench, i will cross my fingers and just pray that every single one of our starting 11 players stay fit.
I am going to bet after world cup you will see this team was the best team Iran has ever sent to world cup. These days you get bad dreams about Iran's performance in world cup but after the world cup you will see we are not that bad either.
Like before Iran Yugoslavia games every one assumed that since Yugoslavia won hungery 6:0 Iran should get 12 goals.

Last edited:
May 12, 2007
Some new developments looks like some of the Euro based Nigeria players are going to sit this one out it seems like the coach may get fired and that certainly increases our chances, not only being in a high altitude but just they won't have their best players. To be honest though most of their euro players are bench warmers.
I have read that news and many in Nigerian federation want to sack the coach. He beleves his local players are better. If CQ got 23 young talent 6 monthes ago put them in a camp Iran could be in the same situation.

May 12, 2007
This is what Adel ferdosi predicts to be Iran's ideal lineup
Davari
Haydari-Hossaini-Montazeri-Baykzadeh
Nekonam-Taymorian-Shojaei
Dejagah-Gucci-Jahanbakhsh

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Where are you guys getting this news about Keshi being fired or Nigeria being in shambles?! The only thing I have read is that Keshi has not announced the squad yet and not everyone was happy about that - that's it.

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Where are you guys getting this news about Keshi being fired or Nigeria being in shambles?! The only thing I have read is that Keshi has not announced the squad yet and not everyone was happy about that - that's it.
Hamin ro boro be do nafar az doostayeh iroonit begoo, hafteyeh digeh az gholeh khodeshoon mishnavi keh Nigeria is a now a new province of Iran. Khodayeh shaye'eh dorost kardanim maha

May 12, 2007
No one said he was fired. He said his squad may not include the international players. He has been threaten to get fired. I can't find the article since it has been some times ago.
Encouraging report (for us) on the Super Eagles...

Soccer-World-Enigmatic Nigeria could be record-breakers or flops

By Mark Gleeson

CAPE TOWN, April 29 (Reuters) - Nigeria have the ability to become the first African country to get past the World Cup group phase on three separate occasions but are increasingly an unpredictable force.

Africa's most populous nation advanced to the second round in their maiden World Cup finals appearance in 1994 and again four years later in France and will be fancied to finish among the top two in Group F where they meet former world champions Argentina, debutants Bosnia and Iran.

But the burden of expectation has often tripped up the Super Eagles, who represent a country with passionate, demanding and fickle fans who easily turn on their team when results are not achieved.

As in the United States in 1994, Nigeria arrive at the World Cup as African champions but their current side has none of the charisma and strong personalities of two decades ago when the team was captained by Stephen Keshi, who is now the coach, and featured established players like Austin Okocha, Sunday Oliseh and Rashidi Yekini.

That team came very close to a famous victory too - leading Italy with minutes to go in the second round in Boston before losing in extra time.

NO STARS

Keshi's current squad has no international stars - their two most influential players come from the Premier League but neither John Obi Mikel of Chelsea nor Liverpool's Victor Moses currently hold down regular places at their club sides.
Yet Nigeria won the African Nations Cup last year, after a stuttering start and winning with a swagger despite holding out little hope before the tournament started.

They eliminated hot favorites Ivory Coast in the quarter-finals in a display of tough tournament temperament they will need in Brazil.

But six months later at last year's Confederation Cup in Brazil they were outclassed in defeats to Uruguay and world champions Spain, patently inferior to their South American and European opponents.

World Cup qualification for Nigeria came against modest opposition - their draw in the play-off round in October and November against Ethiopia was the easiest of the five African countries who went on to reach the finals.

It means the Super Eagles have an enigmatic air about them with the potential to advance well into the knockout rounds but also largely untested and relatively inexperienced.

Much of their game is based on pacey attack, with a lot of emphasis on wide play, but their main finisher, Emmanuel Emenike, is often guilty of missing a myriad of chances and in defense there is an air of vulnerability.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
^^^ Well, he hasn't announced the list yet Saeed jaan, so I don't know what these articles are basing it on. If it's their last major competition, that was only for domestic players, so obviously no international stars were invited. As bad as the NFF is (even worse than the IFF as far as incompetence and corruption), I highly doubt they would replace Keshi at this late stage.

May 12, 2007
^^^ Well, he hasn't announced the list yet Saeed jaan, so I don't know what these articles are basing it on. If it's their last major competition, that was only for domestic players, so obviously no international stars were invited. As bad as the NFF is (even worse than the IFF as far as incompetence and corruption), I highly doubt they would replace Keshi at this late stage.
He has had the same sort of problems CQ had regarding the Money he has used and so on. I think I wait until I find the source again

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I have read that news and many in Nigerian federation want to sack the coach. He beleves his local players are better. If CQ got 23 young talent 6 monthes ago put them in a camp Iran could be in the same situation.
Yep you are right about that and I too have some Nigerian buddies they are calling for the coaches head right about now and I don't blame them the fact that their Euro based players are staying home is a big controversy and if Nigeria does not qualify to the 2nd round, it will be considered a disaster because this team at least made it to the knockout stages before. They lost to Denmark big time in the 2nd round in WC98 but the fact that they have been there before, raises the expectations. Imagine what could CQ do if he came six months before? We would have a few Euro based players and mostly dolati players from local IPL teams and maybe a few guys playing in Arab leagues.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Nigeria haven't won a single game in the world cup since 1998 despite making the trip two times since. In fact, their record in the last two showings is no better than Iran's worst record at the world cup of a single point. On that note, both their aspirations to win the world cup (!!!) and expectations to easily advance to the 2nd round are very unrealistic if not completely out of touch with reality.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Nigeria haven't won a single game in the world cup since 1998 despite making the trip two times since. In fact, their record in the last two showings is no better than Iran's worst record at the world cup of a single point. On that note, both their aspirations to win the world cup (!!!) and expectations to easily advance to the 2nd round are very unrealistic if not completely out of touch with reality.
You are smoking tariak if you think Iran or Nigeria is wining the world cup but Iran does have a chance of advancing through and nobody is saying it's a fake but Nigeria coach hasn't invited his international players. That is why there is so much outrage with him and they are calling for his head.

Aug 13, 2003
You are smoking tariak if you think Iran or Nigeria is wining the world cup but Iran does have a chance of advancing through and nobody is saying it's a fake but Nigeria coach hasn't invited his international players. That is why there is so much outrage with him and they are calling for his head.
Fitness is going to be the key. Catch 22 for Iran. The problem is that if Iran get a tie against Nigeria (doubtful) then it will motivate Argentina to score more goals during the next match. If Iran loses against Nigeria, the lack of momentum against powerhouse Argentina will be even more devastating. So there you have. The ONLY way CQ can get a reasonable result will be to work on fitness. Remember Iran 1998. Experts on TV said that Iran was fit. That was due to the foreign coach that got eventually fired right before the world cup. But losing 1-0 against then Yugoslavia and winning against USA was a good result. If the boys can run for 90 minutes, I mean RUN for 90 minutes, we might have a chance to get a desirable result. Nigeria simply too good a team genetically. As for Argentina, the boys should play D for 90 minutes and crowd their space and hope for counter attack. Argentina will posses the ball for 80 minutes or so. Our boys need to be patient and not lose face or commit stupid fouls due to frustration. Argentina will probably win by several goals. Our D is weak. Our goalkeeper need to perform miracle. Bosnia could be the key match depending who killed who in other matches. If miracle happens and we could still be in it due to goal differential, this match could become the most important match in Iran's history. But Miracle is a key word here.

Shahram

Elite Member
Oct 21, 2002
Fitness is going to be the key. Catch 22 for Iran. The problem is that if Iran get a tie against Nigeria (doubtful) then it will motivate Argentina to score more goals during the next match. If Iran loses against Nigeria, the lack of momentum against powerhouse Argentina will be even more devastating. So there you have. The ONLY way CQ can get a reasonable result will be to work on fitness. Remember Iran 1998. Experts on TV said that Iran was fit. That was due to the foreign coach that got eventually fired right before the world cup. But losing 1-0 against then Yugoslavia and winning against USA was a good result. If the boys can run for 90 minutes, I mean RUN for 90 minutes, we might have a chance to get a desirable result. Nigeria simply too good a team genetically. As for Argentina, the boys should play D for 90 minutes and crowd their space and hope for counter attack. Argentina will posses the ball for 80 minutes or so. Our boys need to be patient and not lose face or commit stupid fouls due to frustration. Argentina will probably win by several goals. Our D is weak. Our goalkeeper need to perform miracle. Bosnia could be the key match depending who killed who in other matches. If miracle happens and we could still be in it due to goal differential, this match could become the most important match in Iran's history. But Miracle is a key word here.
Your point about the players' stamina is valid, but what do you mean by Argentina's scoring several goals againts Iran? ? More than five goals?
I don't undestand why a draw in Iran-Nigeria match would motivate the Argentine side to score more goals against Iran. A draw in Iran-Nigeria match would be adavantagous and comforting to Argentina as long they win their match against Bosnia before encountering Iran.