World Cup qualifiers 2022/ Final Round/ Iran vs Syria(02-09-2021) & Iraq-Iran(06-09-2022)

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004
Great game by TM! What a result!!!
The team played well overall, I think very few (or almost nobody) expected this score... Our attack is lethal, great combination of control and passing.
Hope this trend continues...
Also, TM need to be cautious in the next games as other opponents will play harder (more defensive) and even more physical... We have seen in the past how teams change strategy against us (e.g. 1998 and 2002 qualifiers)

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
So this was about as complete of a game Iran could plan and Tehol, yes the thing like about Skokic is he is a calm team. Anyone who knows anything about the game understands that this is CQ's team but now we can put the Wilmont's disaster behind us, and Skokic can help us qualify. Now after that, if you want to look for another coach, that is up to the IFF and the team.
As for game play, well obviously Taremi was the man of the match but others that everyone mentioned Saman Ghoddos Ansarifad,, #17 who scored, can't think of his name, on the 3rd goal, the assist by Azmoun, everyone contributed on offense, and on defense. It was about as perfect of a game Iran could play vs Iraq. His calm demeanor is robing off on the players, they are playing poised and calm, under the noise and pressure so that is nice to see.

uhl

Jun 20, 2021
CQ leaves TM
Narrative: TM will go back 10 years. We will become a 2nd rate Asian team.

Wilmots becomes TM coach and initially gets some good results.
Narrative: This is a continuation of the legacy that CQ has left behind. He built this team.

3 days later TM loses to Bahrain and then shortly after another loss to Iraq.
Narrative: Like we said from the beginning, once CQ left we were going back 10 years and becoming a 2nd rate Asian team.

Skocic joins TM and gets 9 wins in 9 matches.
Narrative: This is CQ’s team. This is a continuation of the legacy that he has left behind. He built this team : D

lol some of you guys are just funny.
CQ is gone. Ffs, move on.

Last edited:

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
What a defender Shoja is
Good on everything, defending, speed, positioning, set pieces.
He lost few good years of his career because of his attitude when be was younger, and was blacklisted by CQ.

He get better by age.
Could have easy played in some leagues such as Portugal or France.
I am still not convinced! The defense looked very shaky and it is still way far from the defense CQ put together. Shoja is part of this defense.

Let's wait and see what they will do against stronger opponent.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
I am still not convinced! The defense looked very shaky and it is still way far from the defense CQ put together. Shoja is part of this defense.

Let's wait and see what they will do against stronger opponent.
You are very hard to please.
I didn't see them put a foot wrong.
Beyranvand had hardly anything to deal with.
But keep raising the bar...we are a tough nut to crack.
Apart from freak goals I can't see us conceding any goals.

spinhead

Elite Member
Oct 24, 2002
United States of Amnesia
Some observations about Iraq vs Iran match.
  • Great win! TM played palpably better than their last match. I hope that they keep improving like this with every match.
  • Taremi was man of the match with a goal and an assist and creating several good chances
  • Noorafkan was very impressive and worked really hard. He should be given starting role on that left back position based on his great performance today. He was instrumental on the first goal.
  • Sardar had a good game and had a good assist. I wish he had finished that pass he got from Noorallani.
  • Shojah was great as usual. I like his long balls. The English commentator had noticed his great performance against Syria and was praising him.
  • Beiro was not tested but looked confident and collected the crosses very well.
  • Glad Moharrami recovered and was able to start on the right back. He had an OK game today.
  • JB had a great goal and worked his a$$ off. Perhaps he should let someone else take the free kicks. He was not very impressive on those. Don't we have a better free kick taker from outside the box?
  • Ghodous had very nice touches. Great to have him on the field. I'm ambivalent whether he/Ezzat should start. May be leaning towards Saman.
  • Amiri and Noorallahi worked very hard as usually and both had good games, Noorallahi a little better IMO. He created a great chance for Sardar
  • Kanaani was like a solid wall as usual. He was not trying those long balls today which was good, just winning the ball and making a simple pass to MF
  • Ansarifard's cross was brilliant
  • Gholizadeh control and calm finish was brilliant
  • We were lucky that goal was offside. I think we have a weakness defending against those crosses into the box. Something to keep in mind during practice.
  • I think Gayedi is our secret weapon. I am looking forward to seeing him score a few goals and gain some confidence. With his speed and ball handling he can rake havoc against a tired team in the last 15 minutes of a match.

Last edited:

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Taremi is amazing right now -- Just give him the ball and he makes something out of it.

I think Iran will easily qualify from this group.

spinhead

Elite Member
Oct 24, 2002
United States of Amnesia
Taremi is amazing right now -- Just give him the ball and he makes something out of it.

I think Iran will easily qualify from this group.
Qualification is going to be an arduous task, we're 20% of the way there. One game at a time. Next stop UAE. They always give us a run for our money. They have three naturalized Brazilian players in their team. Their number 7 (Ali Mabkhot) is prolific goal scorer. Our defense will be tested in that match.