World Cup qualifiers 2022/ Final Round/ Iran vs Syria(02-09-2021) & Iraq-Iran(06-09-2022)

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
Base on Korean fans board and comments they are scared to play against us lol
They call Iran attack trio with JB, Sardar and Taremi scary trio.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
Teams like UAE, Lebanon, Syria will park the bus against us big time. So i expect few draws against them.
I don't think it will be walk in the park.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
i agree. Finishing top two at this group isn’t a very difficult task.
This is realistically the most competitive outcome for Arab nations in the group after they exclusively play against each other:
Iraq 3-2-1 =11
UAE 3-1-2 =10
Syria 1-3-2 =6
Lebanon 0-4-2 =4

Iraq can wishfully make total of 5 points playing against Iran and Korea. (lets say Iran loses to them)
UAE can wishfully make 4 points playing against Iran and Korea (lets say they beat Iran once and lose once)

So 16-17 points will be enough for the second spot.

We already have 6. We need 3 (out of 6) points from UAE, 6 (out of 6) from Lebanon, 1 (out of 3) from Syria, 1 (out of 6) from Korea and it is done.
We all know though we will do a lot better.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
I feel bad for players such as Alipour, Allahyar, Zahedi who are doing Ok in Europe and can not even get the invitation to TM.

Oct 18, 2010
here is the iraq match with english commentary as was on paramount+.
i counted 2(3 if you consider the throw in) iraqi touches before iran scored on them :p

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
You are very hard to please.
I didn't see them put a foot wrong.
Beyranvand had hardly anything to deal with.
But keep raising the bar...we are a tough nut to crack.
Apart from freak goals I can't see us conceding any goals.
The goal Iraq scored which was offside, shouldn't have been allowed to begin with. On several other occasions, you could see the defense easily allowing the Iraqis to get close to our 18 box, specially in the second half.

It's not only the defense. I also have to add, until our second goal which was scored only due to Azmoun's and Taremi's fantastic individual efforts, we did not have any real plan to score more goals on the Iraqis or if we did, they were very ineffective. Only after that goal which made the iraqi team shattered, we could score the third.

I also have to go as far as saying, this is the first time in 8 years, I see TM completely tired and out of breath after 80th minutes of playing a game.

The bar was already set high by CQ and we should not be pleased with anything less than that. Unfortunately, I sense a slow but sure decline. Having said that, our big stars in TM cover up the decline well and we will most probably do well in Asia because of them. How ever we should not get blinded by these results and should see the game more than just 3-0. As said the game against South Korea will be a better test for our boys.

Last edited:

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
CQ legacy is this:
Play closed/defensive minded with Asian teams and use counter attack, and you will go to world cup. They are not creative enough to change their plan. Even against Korea and Japan, this strategy works (but bit less).
As far as winning the AFC, that won't happen because you can make a mistake or two with the aforementioned strategy.
As far as world cup, you will agitate the big teams but eventually lose.

As far as our current coach, he has done so much better than CQ. He has been in Iran and understand the mentality of Iranian players.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
  • Noorafkan was very impressive and worked really hard. He should be given starting role on that left back position based on his great performance today. He was instrumental on the first goal.
Indeed. Nourafkan is also great as a midfielder. He's always all over the field. I'd even rather have him beside Ezzatollahi than in the left back. He would be more effective there.

• Ghodous had very nice touches. Great to have him on the field. I'm ambivalent whether he/Ezzat should start. May be leaning towards Saman.
  • Amiri and Noorallahi worked very hard as usually and both had good games, Noorallahi a little better IMO. He created a great chance for Sardar
Ghoddos is a CAM. He should rather be replacing Nourollahi even if he was subbed with Ezzatollahi in the Iraq game. Nourollahi runs a lot and created a good chance for Azmoun but at times he makes such stupid mistakes, I don't think I get more angry at anyone in TM as I get at Nourollahi in every game! Ghoddos should really start ahead of him.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
here is the iraq match with english commentary as was on paramount+.
i counted 2(3 if you consider the throw in) iraqi touches before iran scored on them :p

Why wasn't this available with live stream in this quality on the match day?!! :(

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
CQ legacy is this:
Play closed/defensive minded with Asian teams and use counter attack, and you will go to world cup. They are not creative enough to change their plan. Even against Korea and Japan, this strategy works (but bit less).
As far as winning the AFC, that won't happen because you can make a mistake or two with the aforementioned strategy.
As far as world cup, you will agitate the big teams but eventually lose.

As far as our current coach, he has done so much better than CQ. He has been in Iran and understand the mentality of Iranian players.
This is still CQ team, lets not fool ourselves..
The stars of this team are all given proper chances by CQ. Your statement is not true at all
Sardar got his first cap at 18 when he was no one, warming the bench at Kazan.
Taremi started over Ansarifard when he was still at Persepolis.
He brought JB to 2014 when he was playing in dutch 2nd division and was 19.
Brought people like Saman who was even capped in friendly for Sweden. So it was almost done decision. He convinced the kid to play for Iran.
Brought PAG, Amiri, Torabi, Nour. Kanani,beiro, amir, Majid who are still with this team and important puzzles.
CQ team tied Portugal, beat Morocco, by far the best Asian team in 2018. And lost two tight game vs Spain and Argentina.
Too early to judge Skocic, Against Syria we didn't play good, and vs Iraq the early goal changed every thing. Still the possession was bad.
CQ took over a disaster team, real disaster, we had NO PLAYER in europe, not even Greece. I don't know if you realize the impact, and not sure names like Gholam Rezaei, Ghazi, Gholami, Arash Afhin refresh something for you but players like them were our only resources..
Skocic took over a team with now 20 players in Europe. That about 7-8 of them can't even make the squad because of depth.
CQ changed our players mentality.
Move to europe, even 2nd or 3rd rated league then i may consider you.

This is just about immediate impact, we all know in past and even players, specially Dejagah mentioned CQ was the main guy why he decided to play for Iran.
Plus 2014 team had no business to be in WC. Probably poorest Iran squad in WC. on paper

Last edited:

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
This is still CQ team, lets not fool ourselves..
The star of this team are all given proper chances by CQ. Your statement is not true at all
Sardar got his first cap at 18 when he was no one, warming the bench at Kazan.
Taremi started over Ansarifard when be was still at Persepolis.
He brought JB to 2014 when he was playing in dutch 2nd division and was 19.
Brought people like Saman who was even capped in friendly for Sweden. So it was almost done decision. He convinced the kid to play for Iran.
Brought PAG, Amiri, Torabi, Nour. Kanani, Majid who are still with this team and important puzzles.
CQ team tied Portugal, beat Morocco, by far the best Asian team in 2018. And lost two tight game vs Spain and Argentina.
Too early to judge Skocic, Against Syria we didn't play good, and vs Iraq the early goal changed every thing. Still the possession was bad.
CQ took over a disaster team, real disaster, we had NO PLAYER in europe, not even Greece. I don't know if you realize the impact, and not sure names like Gholam Rezaei, Ghazi, Gholami, Arash Afhin refresh something for you but players like them were our only resources..
Skocic took over a team with now 20 players in Europe. That about 7-8 of them can't even make the squad because of depth.
CQ changed our players mentality.
Move to europe, even 2nd or 3rd rated league then i may consider you.
CQ did okay but nothing extra-ordinary.
I don't care if the game was close against this team and that ... I look at stats
Iran went to 2 world cups, 1 victory 1 tie and 4 loss that means 4 points of possible 24! Yes he played closed but was thrashed against Bosnia team when it mattered. So if you think about the two appearance in two previous world cups, 1998 and 2006, the stats is exactly the same, 4 point out of 24 ! The victory against Morocco wasn't that amazing either. I mean we were not even the better team.

He lost in AFC 2 times. He was one of the guys who lost his cool against Iraq and his judgement was horrible as a coach. He lost against Japan 3-0.
I also think it is kinda unfair to associate achievement of Taremi and Sardar to CQ (He had a contribution but that is it). These kids have talent in the first place. Taremi worked very hard with second rate Portugese team and now he is doing great in Porto.
He did shit with Columbia, Portugal and Real Madrid and let's see what he does with Egypt.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
CQ did okay but nothing extra-ordinary.
I don't care if the game was close against this team and that ... I look at stats
Iran went to 2 world cups, 1 victory 1 tie and 4 loss that means 4 points of possible 24! Yes he played closed but was thrashed against Bosnia team when it mattered. So if you think about the two appearance in two previous world cups, 1998 and 2006, the stats is exactly the same, 4 point out of 24 ! The victory against Morocco wasn't that amazing either. I mean we were not even the better team.

He lost in AFC 2 times. He was one of the guys who lost his cool against Iraq and his judgement was horrible as a coach. He lost against Japan 3-0.
I also think it is kinda unfair to associate achievement of Taremi and Sardar to CQ (He had a contribution but that is it). These kids have talent in the first place. Taremi worked very hard with second rate Portugese team and now he is doing great in Porto.
He did shit with Columbia, Portugal and Real Madrid and let's see what he does with Egypt.
Yeah keep being ignorant.
Whatever this football has in over a decade it is thanks to his impact.
Even players mentioned it
0 players in europe vs 20
Pretty resume everything..
He wasn't perfect but comparing him to Skocic who was coaching khoneh be khoneh 2 yrs a go, are u kidding me?

Last edited: