Iranian TV series, Movies

zoozanagheh

Bench Warmer
Feb 6, 2005
Oh Man. I had not watched an IRanian series (not film) for a long time.
since mive mamooneh.

But watching Shahrzad. I love the multi dimensional character of Bozorg Agha. They portray the mentality of an old-time khan pretty good.

I really feel like Shahrzad's character can be developed much further.

but all the men who are Bozorg Agha's assistants are truly magnificent.

Sher Nagoo Gondeh Baghali.
I am watching Shahrzad series, not bad. The topic is around coup d'état of 28 Mordad. There are some exaggeration of course, but i like the play of Ali Nasirian, Taraneh AliDosti(Hamid AliDosti daughter), Shahab Hosseini, Mostafa Zamani,abolfazl pourarab, parinaz izadnia playing main roles in this series.It is for sure much much better than Moamaye-Shah which is a real BS.

chavooshi is a main singer with Sina Sarlak(traditional as back of voice)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVjdbXnsdOc
I watched 26 episode of Shahrzad so far and I have to admit I am impressed. It is a drama taken place in a context of aftermath of Coup against Mosadegh. Granted it does not give an accurate portray of history, specifically does not mention of the rule of religious forces in society and their support for the Coup and "jahel"s & "laat"s at all (which with the censorship and IRI rules it might be the best since if included in the story they had to praise them one way or another). As someone recently told me when I complained about the above fact, "if you want to learn about history read books". That being said, I am enjoying the series very much. It is well done by both writers, actors and production unit. The story is very engaging and has few twists. They do not waste time with slow movements and shots or bs conversations as often is the case with Iranian series.

Last edited:

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I watched 26 episode of Shahrzad so far and I have to admit I am impressed. It is a drama taken place in a context of aftermath of Coup against Mosadegh. Granted it does not give an accurate portray of history, specifically does not mention of the rule of religious forces in society and their support for the Coup and "jahel"s & "laat"s at all (which with the censorship and IRI rules it might be the best since if included in the story they had to praise them one way or another). As someone recently told me when I complained about the above fact, "if you want to learn about history read books". That being said, I am enjoying the series very much. It is well done by both writers, actors and production unit. The story is very engaging and has few twists. They do not waste time with slow movements and shots or bs conversations as often is the case with Iranian series.
Dude, You do not not get it. It is a Tear jerking drama.

It has nothing to do with politics or History. That is just a setup to let you know the setting of the story.

In a way it is a typical iranian drama. But in a way it is not.

It has terrible Action scenes which even by Iranian standards are a joke.

The Writing is generally better than typical Iranian work. (Although it is hard to keep it up for 28 series).

What sets shahrzad aside from me is virtually all the characters are multi dimensional. Bozorg Agha is gradually getting softer
even though from time to time he kills a few folks.
Ghobad is going from a victim slowly to a perpetrator.

Jamshid did a ok job portraying a typical bazari who goes for money first but has an ounce of humanity left.
although I have to say Jamshid's character initially was better developed and gradually regressed.

Hashem khan is truly magnificent. He portrays the reluctant warrior pretty well.
He kills people but he is a loving father. he is bazari that sells Rugs but he still has this sense of halal/haroom.
He is the typical paternalistic figure whose family actually enjoy a further degree of freedom.

Shahrzad. Sepideh Alidsoosti, I feel like was given an easy role. She did not initially do that good with it.
I do feel toward the end she is getting beteter and does the sad scenes pretty good. I do feel she fails short
during the scenes which is supposed to come off strong.

Shirin. Isadyar does a pretty darn good job. She is also a multi dimensional character. Her demands
are not fundamentally different than a typical iranian woman even though she is a rich one.
she wants her husband's attention but she can't have it. she is a reactionary with evil acts.
but in a way you do feel sorry for her and her circumstances. The character is probably the best
female development in quite a while in Iranian cinema.

Farhad: Oh God this guys Mostafa Zamani can only do well in this role. the role of the constant and true
victim. his face is made for being a victim. he really does awful in his so called fight scenes or when
he is supposed to be a journalist.

Ghobad: Shahb hosseini is a bit under performing. But his character kind of demands it.
A Bache Soosool that is not that soosool. He is getting better as he is getting more violent and assertive.
I think Ghobad may be the central charachter in season 2 after Bozorgh Agha departs.

The Elder Sister of Shahrzad: Shahrzad's brother in law and sister do a relatively good job.

Moms: The Moms are horrible. plain and simple

Noche ha: hmm. just like any other iranian show. the side kicks are ok. but nothing to write home about.

Star 1:Ali Nasirian
Star 2:Mehdi Soltani
Star 3:parnyar Ishadyar
Start 4: Depends; sometimes Shahb Hosseini, sometimes Taraneh Alidoosti, sometimes Mostafa Zamani.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005

It has nothing to do with politics or History. That is just a setup to let you know the setting of the story.

In a way it is a typical iranian drama. But in a way it is not.

It has terrible Action scenes which even by Iranian standards are a joke.

The Writing is generally better than typical Iranian work. (Although it is hard to keep it up for 28 series).

What sets shahrzad aside from me is virtually all the characters are multi dimensional. Bozorg Agha is gradually getting softer
even though from time to time he kills a few folks.
Ghobad is going from a victim slowly to a perpetrator.

Jamshid did a ok job portraying a typical bazari who goes for money first but has an ounce of humanity left.
although I have to say Jamshid's character initially was better developed and gradually regressed.

Hashem khan is truly magnificent. He portrays the reluctant warrior pretty well.
He kills people but he is a loving father. he is bazari that sells Rugs but he still has this sense of halal/haroom.
He is the typical paternalistic figure whose family actually enjoy a further degree of freedom.

Shahrzad. Sepideh Alidsoosti, I feel like was given an easy role. She did not initially do that good with it.
I do feel toward the end she is getting beteter and does the sad scenes pretty good. I do feel she fails short
during the scenes which is supposed to come off strong.

Shirin. Isadyar does a pretty darn good job. She is also a multi dimensional character. Her demands
are not fundamentally different than a typical iranian woman even though she is a rich one.
she wants her husband's attention but she can't have it. she is a reactionary with evil acts.
but in a way you do feel sorry for her and her circumstances. The character is probably the best
female development in quite a while in Iranian cinema.

Farhad: Oh God this guys Mostafa Zamani can only do well in this role. the role of the constant and true
victim. his face is made for being a victim. he really does awful in his so called fight scenes or when
he is supposed to be a journalist.

Ghobad: Shahb hosseini is a bit under performing. But his character kind of demands it.
A Bache Soosool that is not that soosool. He is getting better as he is getting more violent and assertive.
I think Ghobad may be the central charachter in season 2 after Bozorgh Agha departs.

The Elder Sister of Shahrzad: Shahrzad's brother in law and sister do a relatively good job.

Moms: The Moms are horrible. plain and simple

Noche ha: hmm. just like any other iranian show. the side kicks are ok. but nothing to write home about.

Star 1:Ali Nasirian
Star 2:Mehdi Soltani
Star 3:parnyar Ishadyar
Start 4: Depends; sometimes Shahb Hosseini, sometimes Taraneh Alidoosti, sometimes Mostafa Zamani.

There is a season 2?

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
There is a season 2?
reportedlyby some folks season 2 will be made for sure.
Not sure how good season 2 is gone be without Bozorg agah.
some people are reporting that Fatmeh Motamed Aria is supposed to play Ameh Bel Gheis in Season 2.

I almost am sure that in season final-lie Bozorg Agha will be murdered.

or that he will grow old and withered where Shahrzad will help him out as Ghobad has taken over with the help of his secret dad.

Oct 18, 2010
just saw this one.not a tv series but it's a canadian film about an
iranian woman starting a new job and getting hit on aggressively by
her lesbian boss.

[video=youtube;yeTA1qVXWE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeTA1qVXWE4[/video]

zoozanagheh

Bench Warmer
Feb 6, 2005

I am not sure what is that you think I do not get?!
I agree that it is a melodrama that takes place in a historical context. Perhaps my attention to the historical aspect of it (and lack of its accuracy) has caused misunderstanding.

As for actors, I also think that Nasirian was the best. Parinaz Izadyar (not Parnyar Ishadyar) did a great job as well and so did Mehdi Soltani and Abolfazl Poorarab.
Shahb Hosseini, Taraneh Alidoosti, and Mostafa Zamani were good IMHO.

zoozanagheh

Bench Warmer
Feb 6, 2005
reportedlyby some folks season 2 will be made for sure.
Not sure how good season 2 is gone be without Bozorg agah.
some people are reporting that Fatmeh Motamed Aria is supposed to play Ameh Bel Gheis in Season 2.

I almost am sure that in season final-lie Bozorg Agha will be murdered.

or that he will grow old and withered where Shahrzad will help him out as Ghobad has taken over with the help of his secret dad.
Filming for Season 2 is reported to start in July. They are finalizing the story now.

I was wondering the same thing about the part in bold as well. Absence of his character and Nasirian's acting will create a heavy gap to fill.

zoozanagheh

Bench Warmer
Feb 6, 2005
What a garbage ending to the series "Sharzad".
I had higher expectation for the ending as well. Seemed like they throw in everything in the last episode and tried to close few story lines before the season ends in a rush. Some of the mid-season episodes were better developed and more exciting.

Last edited:

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
I had higher expectation for the ending as well. Seemed like they throw in everything in the last episode and tried to close few story lines before the season ends in a rush. Some of the mid-season episodes were better developed and more exciting.
Most Iranian series/movies have horrible endings. At least this one is to be continued.......

Oct 18, 2010
Oh Man. I had not watched an IRanian series (not film) for a long time.
since mive mamooneh.

But watching Shahrzad. I love the multi dimensional character of Bozorg Agha. They portray the mentality of an old-time khan pretty good.

I really feel like Shahrzad's character can be developed much further.

but all the men who are Bozorg Agha's assistants are truly magnificent.

Sher Nagoo Gondeh Baghali.
i got to watch some of this series recently.it is a well made work
but i must admit that it is essentially a re-make of godfather with
an iranian theme.the old man is your don corleone and his assistants
are based on the same set of characters in the original godfather.
the guy who made it had a series a while back called 'zero degree turn'.
which is a more original and better made series.

Nov 24, 2002
Man Salvador Nistam, not a bad movie, with Reza Attaran. Rivaldo also appear at the end for few minutes. It was made in Brazil.

[video=youtube;BWrcQejJt84]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWrcQejJt84[/video]