Iranian TV series, Movies

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Man Salvador Nistam, not a bad movie, with Reza Attaran. Rivaldo also appear at the end for few minutes. It was made in Brazil.

[video=youtube;BWrcQejJt84]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWrcQejJt84[/video]
I can't believe it's already out in youtube!! I saw it in the theater only a few months ago!

Nov 24, 2002
Honestly movie industry, producers, actors deserve some praises with all these scenario and acting limitations.

Nov 24, 2002
Just came back from watching Barcode in movie theater, probably the best Iranian movie(comedy-action) i watched in last few years

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Well, "The Salesman" of Asghar Farhadi has been selected for the best foreign movie candidate in the academy awards.

http://ir.voanews.com/a/iran-academy-awards-farhadi/3513386.html

hmmmm....dame Asghar Farhadi garm and I like him a lot but....

1. Isn't there any other good director left in Iran?!! The guy won an Oscar and now they're gonna stick to him for the Oscars in the next 50 years?!

2. Asghar Farhadi jan, damet garm, but now that your films seem to be selected as the candidate for the awards every time, can you at least for once make a movie with a male actor without a beard? Just saying....

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Just came back from watching Barcode in movie theater, probably the best Iranian movie(comedy-action) i watched in last few years
You've got to be kidding me! I thought you had taste dude.

I watched this excuse for a Tarantino mock-up last night and cannot believe people actually pay to see this garbage.

Seriously, are the people making these movies really adults? Do they actually take themselves seriously?!

Fucked up beyond words.

Nov 24, 2002
You've got to be kidding me! I thought you had taste dude.

I watched this excuse for a Tarantino mock-up last night and cannot believe people actually pay to see this garbage.

Seriously, are the people making these movies really adults? Do they actually take themselves seriously?!

Fucked up beyond words.
loll, scenario wise was BS, like the rest of Iranian movies, but i found the dialogues quite funny. You probably haven't watch many of recent so-called comedy-movies in Iran in last few years, then you would find this one pretty decent, again scenario was BS!

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
loll, scenario wise was BS, like the rest of Iranian movies, but i found the dialogues quite funny. You probably haven't watch many of recent so-called comedy-movies in Iran in last few years, then you would find this one pretty decent, again scenario was BS!
I laughed twice during the entire movie.

1. When the two want to enter the house and one of them climbs the wall while the other simply enters through the door (so cliche it actually made me laugh)

2. When they brought the addict girl home and one of them said "آوردمش خونه میخوام ترکش بدم برای خودم نگهش دارم" and the other says "مگه طوطیه میخوای نگهش داری؟".

that's it! The rest of the dialogues were insanely cheap and mozakhraf.

I understand your point about Iranian cinema having produced some of the worst of its own in the past decade and agree, but this one was definitely no exception. In fact it was a spectacular continuation of that decline.

Nov 29, 2002
I haven't seen any of the soap operas or comedy recently. I don't quite get them as I was born and lived abroad all my life.

But my friends have just seen "The Salesman" and say it is very good. Anyone seen it, apparently it is even better than Separation -which i thought was fantastic

Nov 24, 2002
I laughed twice during the entire movie.

1. When the two want to enter the house and one of them climbs the wall while the other simply enters through the door (so cliche it actually made me laugh)

2. When they brought the addict girl home and one of them said "آوردمش خونه میخوام ترکش بدم برای خودم نگهش دارم" and the other says "مگه طوطیه میخوای نگهش داری؟".

that's it! The rest of the dialogues were insanely cheap and mozakhraf.

I understand your point about Iranian cinema having produced some of the worst of its own in the past decade and agree, but this one was definitely no exception. In fact it was a spectacular continuation of that decline.
Yes maybe it was mozakhraf but some of it made me still laugh.
I actually was watching a documentary history movie about Karim Khan zand few months a go and the young producer was in town here and i had a brief talk with him, he was telling me you can't believe how hard it is to make any kind of movie in Iran, for every small shit you have an adventure and lots of headache to deal with. He mentioned yes there are some BS movies but they make some decent ones as well. So i think consider the circumstance and all shit restrictions(not only in movie industry but also in even traditional music) our movie industry improved a lot compare to before revolution(yes we had some good movies back to the time also but most of it was abdo-khiari)

Nov 24, 2002
I haven't seen any of the soap operas or comedy recently. I don't quite get them as I was born and lived abroad all my life.

But my friends have just seen "The Salesman" and say it is very good. Anyone seen it, apparently it is even better than Separation -which i thought was fantastic
Damet garm, people like you who was born and lived all their life aboard and have so much love for our land deserve praise.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002

When I was back in Iran for the first time after many years of being abroad, I found Iranian comedy series to be so boring and I just could not understand what people laughed at when they were watching them. However slowly slowly I realized unlike most of the American series, you need to have watched the Iranian ones from the very first episode to understand the comic parts later. Also it helps a lot if you see the films with someone who does understand them to explain what was the humor behind a certain funny scene. That makes you slowly get the humor.

As for A Separation, I don't know if you have seen "The past" which he made after it but I thought it was awesome too! I thought it was at least as good as "A Separation". If you liked the latter, I highly recommend to see it.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
That makes you slowly get the humor.
There's nothing to get. Once you've seen real artistic humor you can't go back.

When you've seen sitcoms like Seinfeld or watched guys like Louis CK perform a standup, it's almost impossible to laugh at Iranian products. Sure there's the occasional smile or laugh here and there, but it's really not funny overall.

Quite surprising too since the general Iranian life is a bundle of fresh jokes delivered by fate every single day, but not a single comedian or director has managed to capitalize on it.

What I notice in Iranian cinema, TV and music is the extreme desire for copying western concepts. It's absolutely bizarre and less successful year after year. What is this thirst for western scenarios or dialogues? Were we deaf, blind and mute with nothing interesting to talk about before we watched some 2nd-rate Hollywood products?

Why is Iranian cinema trying to be an even less desirable Bollywood? At least Bollywood has the cliche dancing and singing.

Exceptions don't matter. If Farhadi wins an Oscar it means little for the entire picture. Iranian cinema is in serious decline.

When I was back in Iran for the first time after many years of being abroad, I found Iranian comedy series to be so boring and I just could not understand what people laughed at when they were watching them. However slowly slowly I realized unlike most of the American series, you need to have watched the Iranian ones from the very first episode to understand the comic parts later. Also it helps a lot if you see the films with someone who does understand them to explain what was the humor behind a certain funny scene. That makes you slowly get the humor.

As for A Separation, I don't know if you have seen "The past" which he made after it but I thought it was awesome too! I thought it was at least as good as "A Separation". If you liked the latter, I highly recommend to see it.

Well said . I consider myself an Iranian TV series junky and I barely miss out on any new and worth to watch series . as they say you can't judge a book by its cover ... most of us expecting the whole series being summarized in an episode or two and if not we call it boring or dull. Movies are different thou and with the way censorship works in our country the producer get a permit based on the PS and then it has to be reviewed once the movie is done and ready to hit the Theaters which most of the time are a subject to cut this and cut that . so this is why most of our movies are ending in wonder. I also watch a lot of American and European series and I enjoy both but I cant stay away from our own because somehow they always connect me with my land and my people. For example Paria was one of the best series as it shows and teaching people how to treat those who are diagnosed with HIV and Aids. I loved it ... I am not into comedy unless it's really a good one

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I had not watched an Iranian movie or film since the separation.
my old lady watches the comedies, I catch a glimpse and just like the american ones I am not at all impressed.

I rather watch stand up comedy which is real comedy.

but i recently watched Nahid and Kooche Binam and I have to say they were alright.