Ukraine War

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Not mad ?
Was it a smart move attacking and invading a sovereign country causing so much death and destruction and displacement of millions of innocent people?!

it depends what you are prioritizing. optimizing for your economy? optimizing for hte long-term security of your country...

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
it depends what you are prioritizing. optimizing for your economy? optimizing for hte long-term security of your country...
Prioritising human life...
Long or short term security of Russia was never in any danger, no-one would dare to attack or invade Russia.

I know there was an idiot mad man who attacked them some 80 years ago but back then Russians didn't have nuclear deterrent.

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006
Putin wants ‘unfriendly countries’ to pay roubles for gas

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co...n-wants-unfriendly-countries-pay-roubles-gas/

President Vladimir Putin has announced that Russia will demand that “unfriendly” countries pay for Russian natural gas exports only in roubles from now on.

Mr Putin told a meeting with government officials that “a number of Western countries made illegitimate decisions on the so-called freezing of the Russian assets, effectively drawing a line over reliability of their currencies, undermining the trust for those currencies”.

“It makes no sense whatsoever,” Mr Putin added, “to supply our goods to the European Union, the United States and receive payment in dollars, euros and a number of other currencies. As a result, he said he was announcing “measures” to switch to payments for “our natural gas, supplied to so-called unfriendly countries” in Russian roubles.

The Russian president did not say when exactly the new policy will take effect. He instructed the country’s central bank to work out a procedure for natural gas buyers to acquire roubles in Russia.

Economists said the move appeared designed to try to support the rouble, which has collapsed against other currencies since Mr Putin invaded Ukraine on February 24 and Western countries responded with far-reaching sanctions against Moscow. But some analysts expressed doubt that it would work.

“Demanding payment in roubles is a curious and probably ultimately ineffective approach to attempting an end run around Western financial sanctions,” said Eswar Prasad, a professor of trade policy at Cornell University.

“Roubles are certainly easier to come by now that the currency is collapsing. But exchanging other currencies for roubles will be quite difficult given the widespread financial sanctions imposed on Russia.

“The hope that demanding payment in roubles will increase demand for the currency and thereby prop up its value,” Prod Prasad added, “is also a false hope given all the downward pressures on the currency.”

Neil Shearing, group chief economist at Capital Economics, said: “It’s not an obvious move to me, since the (Russian) economy needs a supply of foreign currency in order to pay for imports — and energy is one of the few sources left.”

Despite severe Western sanctions, natural gas flows are still heading from Russia to Europe. The European Union is reliant on Russia for 40% of the natural gas it needs to generate electricity, heat homes and supply industry — a key reason why the EU has not applied its sanctions to Russia’s energy industry.

At the same time, across Europe, governments are slashing fuel taxes and doling out tens of billions to help consumers, truckers, farmers and others cope with spiking energy prices made worse by Russia’s war on Ukraine.

Vinicius Romano, a senior analyst at Rystad Energy, suggested that Moscow’s insistence on payments in roubles “may give buyers cause to reopen other aspects of their contracts — such as the duration — and simply speed up their exit from Russian gas altogether”.

Oct 18, 2010
auchtung!
no Z for you Kumpel :ROFLMAO:

German states outlaw displays of the letter 'Z,' a symbol of Russia's war in Ukraine

Two German states have outlawed public displays of the letter "Z," which has become synonymous with support for Russia's war in Ukraine.

Authorities in Bavaria and Lower Saxony said over the weekend that anyone who displays the symbol at public demonstrations or paints it on cars or buildings could face a fine or up to three years in jail, the English-language site The Local reports. And an Interior Ministry spokesperson told reporters on Monday that people throughout Germany who display the letter to endorse Russia's aggression could be liable to prosecution.

"The Russian war of aggression on the Ukraine is a criminal act, and whoever publicly approves of this war of aggression can also make himself liable to prosecution," the spokesperson said at a news conference, according to Reuters.

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/28/1089229499/german-states-outlaw-z

Dec 30, 2014
auchtung!

German states outlaw displays of the letter 'Z,' a symbol of Russia's war in Ukraine

Two German states have outlawed public displays of the letter "Z," which has become synonymous with support for Russia's war in Ukraine.

Authorities in Bavaria and Lower Saxony said over the weekend that anyone who displays the symbol at public demonstrations or paints it on cars or buildings could face a fine or up to three years in jail, the English-language site The Local reports. And an Interior Ministry spokesperson told reporters on Monday that people throughout Germany who display the letter to endorse Russia's aggression could be liable to prosecution.

"The Russian war of aggression on the Ukraine is a criminal act, and whoever publicly approves of this war of aggression can also make himself liable to prosecution," the spokesperson said at a news conference, according to Reuters.

Vow, just vow. It is one thing to disapprove of the invasion and taking steps to oppose it, economically, militarily and otherwise. But to criminalize its moral support amongst your own population?!!! Vow!!!

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
auchtung!

What will Zoro do?

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
it has become clear that Biden recent statements on regime change, war criminal, let's go get him is not accidental.

it is by design.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Residents pass a damaged Russian tank in the town of Trostyanets, east of Kyiv. A monument to World War II is seen in the background. [Efrem Lukatsky/AP Photo]

1648577646701.png

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Sickening:

Residents of Kyiv suburb say retreating Russian troops killed civilians for no apparent reason

footy

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2019
Marina Dool Rey
THis is really US & Oil Cos united against Putin. US has sacrificed Ukraine people to demonstrate what monster Putin can be. Blood-shed could have been avoided

How does one access underground 'net like 'Pol' . I hear as early as January there were talks there of Russian invasion. (Def other sources even from Iran had ideas of this attack per Russia unloading 600B worth of US dollars in a decade , accepting Yuan from China and some Euros from Europeans for its oil)

Last edited:

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
If somebody farts in a remote region of the world and it causes deaths, some will always say it's the US plan and that the US has destroyed the country for its own interests. Everyone else in the world is angelic! There would never be any wars or atrocities without the US!!!

footy

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2019
Marina Dool Rey
^ Lets build a conversation based on facts not sentiments.

1- US and NATO tried to pull Ukraine away into NATO (Russia had objected this) Zelenski thought he had US and allies support in case of a war and kept on the rhetoric of joining NATO. Russia invaded Ukraine, US never came to help, kept buying Russia oil an watched the bloodshed and documented it.

Now Ukraine has accepted not to join the NATO and that's all Russia had in mind in the first place but millions displaced and many lost lives.

2- US has not been happy Russia converted 600B into gold and non-dollar asset within a decade.

3- i am unclear how far one must go back to declare independence of any land, taken over, sold by corrupt leaders or what. Ukraine was mostly in control of RUssia, took independence when soviet fell apart, and has enjoyed US support and as recent as Obama spending 5 billion dollars there to make something happen. ( I am not too crazy on Putin/Russia all together)

4- US installed bases in Romania & Bulgaria with understanding that they are temp bases, then decides to keep them permanent. This didn't go well with Russians as camps are 200 miles away. https://www.jstor.org/stable/resrep19206.9?seq=6

5- US had done the same more or less to peoples movement of Hungary in the 50s. Hungarian thought the had US support in fighting USSR but US help never arrived and I think 25k hungarians lost lives fighting sovietsl

The harder the insurgents fought, the less chance there was for a negotiated settlement. But the unwillingness of the United States to counter Soviet military action meant that the Hungarian quest for liberation was suicidal."

In 1998, the Hungarian ambassador Géza Jeszenszky criticised Western inaction in 1956 as disingenuous, recalling that the political influence of the United Nations readily applied to resolving the Korean War (1950–1953).

Despite earlier demands for the rollback of Communism and of the Leftist liberation of eastern Europe, Dulles told the USSR that: "We do not see these states [Hungary and Poland] as potential military allies.

In 1956, Eisenhower decided not to intervene during the Hungarian Uprising of 1956. The Suez Crisis, which unfolded simultaneously, played an important role in hampering the U.S. response to the crisis in Hungary. The Suez Crisis made the condemnation of Soviet actions difficult. As Vice President Richard Nixon later explained: "We couldn't, on one hand, complain about the Soviets intervening in Hungary and, on the other hand, approve of the British and the French picking that particular time to intervene against Gamal Abdel Nasser."

6-Personally think US wanted to put a split between east and west Europe , convince Finland Norway into NATO and weaken Russias economy (cost was 15B per day of fight) wreak havoc there and at the same time weakening China's biggest ally. So they baited Russia into invasion.

___

Now theres a lot more that I don't know but simplifying it like you did and throw in a 'fart' to juice up your masterpiece opinion should be put up for public discussion and appreciation. lmao.

Last edited:

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
^ Lets build a conversation based on facts not sentiments.

1- US and NATO tried to pull Ukraine away into NATO (Russia had objected this) Zelenski thought he had US and allies support in case of a war and kept on the rhetoric of joining NATO. Russia invaded Ukraine, US never came to help, kept buying Russia oil an watched the bloodshed and documented it.

Now Ukraine has accepted not to join the NATO and that's all Russia had in mind in the first place but millions displaced and many lost lives.

2- US has not been happy Russia converted 600B into gold and non-dollar asset within a decade.

3- i am unclear how far one must go back to declare independence of any land, taken over, sold by corrupt leaders or what. Ukraine was mostly in control of RUssia, took independence when soviet fell apart, and has enjoyed US support and as recent as Obama spending 5 billion dollars there to make something happen. ( I am not too crazy on Putin/Russia all together)

4- US installed bases in Romania & Bulgaria with understanding that they are temp bases, then decides to keep them permanent. This didn't go well with Russians as camps are 200 miles away. https://www.jstor.org/stable/resrep19206.9?seq=6

5- US had done the same more or less to peoples movement of Hungary in the 50s. Hungarian thought the had US support in fighting USSR but US help never arrived and I think 25k hungarians lost lives fighting sovietsl

The harder the insurgents fought, the less chance there was for a negotiated settlement. But the unwillingness of the United States to counter Soviet military action meant that the Hungarian quest for liberation was suicidal."

In 1998, the Hungarian ambassador Géza Jeszenszky criticised Western inaction in 1956 as disingenuous, recalling that the political influence of the United Nations readily applied to resolving the Korean War (1950–1953).

Despite earlier demands for the rollback of Communism and of the Leftist liberation of eastern Europe, Dulles told the USSR that: "We do not see these states [Hungary and Poland] as potential military allies.

In 1956, Eisenhower decided not to intervene during the Hungarian Uprising of 1956. The Suez Crisis, which unfolded simultaneously, played an important role in hampering the U.S. response to the crisis in Hungary. The Suez Crisis made the condemnation of Soviet actions difficult. As Vice President Richard Nixon later explained: "We couldn't, on one hand, complain about the Soviets intervening in Hungary and, on the other hand, approve of the British and the French picking that particular time to intervene against Gamal Abdel Nasser."

6-Personally think US wanted to put a split between east and west Europe , convince Finland Norway into NATO and weaken Russias economy (cost was 15B per day of fight) wreak havoc there and at the same time weakening China's biggest ally. So they baited Russia into invasion.

___

Now theres a lot more that I don't know but simplifying it like you did and throw in a 'fart' to juice up your masterpiece opinion should be put up for public discussion and appreciation. lmao.
The facts that you are mentioning are all correct but that doesn't mean that Putin didn't set his mind for this.
In fact, you could argue he was preparing for this since 2014 and this NATO is just an excuse.
Remember the cause of war has changed 3 times by Russian in the span of 1.5 months !!
To be honest, neither me or you know about this but what we know that this war is criminal and Putin is disgusting.
That doesn't mean that politician in west are angels either.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
The facts that you are mentioning are all correct but that doesn't mean that Putin didn't set his mind for this.
In fact, you could argue he was preparing for this since 2014 and this NATO is just an excuse.
Remember the cause of war has changed 3 times by Russian in the span of 1.5 months !!
To be honest, neither me or you know about this but what we know that this war is criminal and Putin is disgusting.
They are all as bad as each other...

footy

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2019
Marina Dool Rey
i'd still like US having an upper hand vs China or Russia, however if I was Ukranian I would feel I was played by Uncle Sam and associates since all hopes are from that direction.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
i'd still like US having an upper hand vs China or Russia, however if I was Ukranian I would feel I was played by Uncle Sam and associates since all hopes are from that direction.
Yes you could argue Zilenski is not a good politician and he shouldn't have given the Russians the excuse for the war by declaring neutrality.
However, I am still not convinced that Russia wouldn't have attack.
Putin somehow had a plan in his mind, first to make the economy better and then expand the old Russia empire.
I would say, he failed in both.
The sad thing, is that after a year or two, everything will go back to normal as though nothing has happened.

footy

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2019
Marina Dool Rey
Putin knew well ahead the extremely high cost of this invasion . We should try to find out what he wanted or wants to get out of with such expenditure. He wants more of Ukraine soil now perhaps with a lot more other things.

Internal turmoil they know they can control, also doubt he'd be taken to court internationally.

Also Zelenskis skills is not at question for me. US & allies didnt' go to his rescue as he expected and espressed until last Semtember. He overplayed his hand and there was no cookie for him afterall. Doubt he'd be classified as a politician with minimal experience and control he's had.

His backer into election, the 2nd richest man in Ukraine , Kolomisky , is now barred from US entry (significant corruption) and his bank had 4.5B missing and out of zelenskis favor (at least in pubic eyes). Politics isnt' very clean nowhere especially in eastern block. I spare you talks of off-shore accounts owned by Zelenski, etc.

Kolomoysky has a triple Ukraine-Israel-Cyprus citizenship, despite the law penalizing dual citizenship in Ukraine. By way of explanation, Kolomoyskyi stated that: "The constitution prohibits double citizenship but triple citizenship is not forbidden." When you have money laws are meaningless, was appraised around 1.5B worth.

Their relationship suggest whats more behind the scence which half way around the world most of us are clueless about. Definitely Oligarch wants more closer and protection with the west and away from Putin control and actions and flow of money display it.

With so much money, they buy politicians, armies, international support and other goodies. In March 2022, Al Jazeera reported that Kolomoyskyi was a source of funding for the Neo-Nazi militia group Azov Battalion before the group was incorporated into the Ukrainian National Guard.

Keepin it all professional, eh?

(fella who got banned in this thread had a point of looking into history of this conflict and fringe data but also sounded he was posting without reading as was not up to discussing it friendly and informatively )

Last edited: